Converting from Manual to Elec Mirrors...

91LuminaEuro

Has anybody ever converted from manual to electric mirrors? Since i destroyed my pass. side one....and i hate my manual mirrors. How hard would this be on my 91 Lumina?

I'm not worried about the wiring aspect of it, i have plenty of spare time and know how to do the wiring.

Are there any major boundaries?

Thanks!

not really. so long as you can wire it up it is just a matter of getting the power mirrors.

ALSO a cutlass ciera power mirror switch *should* fit perfect in the stock location for the manual adjuster.

been there, done that. I think... yeah. what they have said is correct. Get a pair of electric mirrors from a GP or a Regal. I used a power window switch from a 95+ lumina, I think I had to file a slot in it to fit, but it worked fine, plus I had to run wires from one side of the car to the other.

don't forget, plastic break-away > door busting metal

Awesome! Thanks for the help! I am almost positive there is a GP with power mirrors at the local JY. I also know there is at least 2 APV's for me to shiest a switch from! Well..at least i hope. I definately need to pick up a mirror friday because inspection runs out at the end of the month. So i will have either just a new replacement mirror..or electric ones!

Also, what about the hole on the pass side once its converted? What did you do or do you suggest i do with that?

Thanks again!

P.S. I am DEFINATELY lookin for plastic mirrors too.

Also, what about the hole on the pass side once its converted? What did you do or do you suggest i do with that?

in the door panel?

I think some cars have no hole... meaning a hole-less doorpanel might be found.

or you could just leave it blank...

or leave the end of the now not used mirror cable in....

grab two power mirror control switches. put one on each side!!!!

hell, wire each one to control the one on the opposite side!!!!

You should be able to feed power to the switch from the power circuit for the locks (what I did)

hope you are as lucky as i was . i converted a 1995 pontiac sunfire that was completely wired for power mirrors so all i had to do was pick up the mirrors and the little front pod with the power switch. Yours may already be wired for it also :mrgreen:

I did this on my first '90 Olds, it was rather simple. 4 wires from the P/S mirror to the drivers side switch, 4 wires from the d/s mirror, one 12V+ constant (or switched I guess) and one ground. You're basically just powering two reversible motors from each mirror.

Well..i spent 3 hours at the almost local You Pull It today......the ONLY electric mirrors i found had all been broken already...lucky me...

It was also 25 degrees...and muddy as hell....up to my shins....I found one mirror...got it off and then realized it that the mirror lense was broken and kept falling out..

Anyways....3 mirrors later i got one home...for $6

Also, To make it even more of a pain in the ass, my carhad 10mm nuts holding the mirror in, one of the other cars i messed with did as well...bt the other 2 did not...and i did not have the correct size...so i used pliars to bend the door out from around the nuts, and then used the pliars to pull the nuts off....it was miserable...

Pics soon...

Just finished putting it all back together...she doesn't look very pretty...especially because the trim piece aroud the mirror broke and my dad got Hot Glue happy....ugh..but whatever. I decided to stick with the manual mirror and not really put too much effort into making it look pretty because come spring I hope to have a new car..and either sell or Trade In the lumina..