Almost ready to paint the Cutlass need some opinions.

89oldscutlass

Ok guys heres the deal im fixing to repaint my blue cutlass and I am having a hard time deciding what color blue to paint it and whether or not to put the 442 style stripes back on it.I seen the blue cutlass and orange cutlass with the stripes across the roof like a ford and thats not like my stripes in case your wondering.So far I have bought my cowl hood scoop and a cutlass style spoiler for my car. I have the ground effects off a INT Cutty to put on it but Im still deciding if I should put them on or not.Any suggestions guys. You can look at my car at CarDomain under 89oldsCutty to get a idea of what im working with when it comes to my stripes.

Don't take our opinions into consideration, it's your money and it's your car. Do whatever you think is best.

Very true, but it's always reassuring to "test the waters" and see what other people like so you don't end up with something that gets sent around the internet with "Another ________ molested" for a caption. ;)

I'm at work right now so I can't check your pics at CarDomain but think the mid-70's 442 stripes would look good on a W-body Cutlass as they share similar grille configurations. They had one stripe about 12-15" wide down the center of the hood and trunk with about a 3/8" space and then 3/8" or so stripes down both sides of the center stripe. There used to be a medium blue one around here with metallic silver stripes and another meduim blue one with black stripes. Both looked really good. They also had the lower body panels painted to match the stripe, that could work in well with the ground effects. Check out photos of some of the Hurst Olds' from the 60's and 70's for some ideas, they had several variations and I never heard anybody call one of those ugly.............

I always go for white. WHen i repainted my car last year i didnt want to change color and i got white only little lighter. But if you have the International ground effects i always was crazy about black or that red color that came on Internationals.

OK, checked out your pics @ Car Domain. The blue that's on it isn't bad, but how about '69 GM Le Mans Blue ? It's a little brighter and has a little more metallic than is showing in your pics, it really highlights the body lines. The stripe layout you have on it is pretty good but may I suggest either a brighter silver or pearl white for the stripes and stop them back from the radius on the front of the hood so there's more blue showing at the front of the hood and don't carry the rears much past the bottom of the radius on the trunk lid. Just enough to see the ends from the rear. If you're keeping the wing paint it body color so it doesn't detract from the rear stripes. Most '70-'72 442's and Rallye 350's (poor man's 442) that had wings had them painted body color, of course all Rallye 350's were BRIGHT yellow, bumpers and all. We made fun of them when they came out but I'd love to find a clean one now. They actually ran pretty decent but were overshadowed by the 455 powered cars.

Just my $.02. :) Like the man said it's YOUR car, you don't have to please anyone but you. :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions guys hopefully it will be painted with in the next couple of weeks and i can update my pics on CarDomain for you guys to check out.