Life Lesson 49; don't be lazy.

Captain Ficho

I've done all the audio install on my car, rear 6x9s, door 4x6s, 10" sub etc; but I bought some 4" speakers to replace the 4" tweeters in the dash. It was the heat of summer and I had nowhere cool to work on the car, so I just took it to Best Buy and let them deal with it, for only $39, I thought it was a no brainer.

Basically, big mistake, they literally duct taped my speakers to the plastic dash piece. I guess they figured I wouldn't be seeing it so they could hack it up, but now I have and I'm pissed. I'll get some pics to show you guys.

Lesson learned, don't trust your car to anyone other than yourself.

Damn, that sucks man. I've considered getting my audio equipment installed at Best Buy or Circuit City, but heard horror stories like that, which kept me away. I'm glad I didn't go to them, but I'm sorry you got screwed.

There's lots of installers, at major install bays or not, that are hacks, or simply have no clue what they are doing. BB, CC, and the like generally get the most slack, as they are everywhere.

Anyways, I wouldn't let that shit fly in my bay, that's for damn sure.

And...... I fixed the mom and pop's crappy installs, constantly.

Around here BB and CC dont have any good installers. Ive lots of jobs come into my work that were BB fuckups. Recently we had a 2000 Grand Prix in my shop with a HORRENDOUS engine noise. It was a BB install. The power wire was running through the door jamb (i see this ALL THE TIME) and they had extended 4ga power wire with 8ga :willynilly: Apparently they didnt have enough to reach the amp, it was just wrapped up and taped it damn near fell apart in my hands. It was grounded to the rear deck, no paint sanded of even. Not to mention they had rcas and power running down the same side of the car.

CC did the system in my friends car and they had both subs playing out of phase :rolleyes:

Duct taped speakers is a new one on me though! I really dont see the point, you might as well just set them in there, duct tape its gonna do a damn thing. Did the speakers not line up the screw holes from the factory speakers or what?

Is good to work in your car , but sometimes you don't have the time or knowledge and if you have to take it to someone else make sure is someone you can trust.Good installers are like good mechanics ......hard to find and when you stick with him !

They actually offer a warenty of worksmanship of some kind. Find your receipt, take it back, and go straight to the manager, and ask him to call his regional manager so that the complaint is heard. They will listen.

I used to work for BB and CC, both in the home theater areas and Road Shop/Car-Fi, I had no GED/Diploma at that point in time, I tried my damnedest to get into the install bay of both stores. The first time I was just too young (16), the second time the assistant installer didn't like me, both times they would have benefitted from someone who knew what they were doing.

I have been doing private installs since I was 14 (I know my shit), and customers always told me all about the cc/bb train wreck installs they had, usually they cut corners to push the next car through for a deck and four, it's the bread and butter of any chain store installer, and without proper training/knowledge they cannot finish fast enough without the poor quality shortcuts we see. They usually are not fire risks or unsafe, just really tacky, and shoddy workmanship.

Mom and pop lcal places however, may look GREAT, but keep a fire extinguisher handy, and a face mask, burning fiberglass stinks. Anything fails to compete with a Cadillac I saw done at one of the local shops, "941 kustoms audio". The did full custom setup on a ~'97 Deville with all the garbage "pyle pro" mids and bullets that are cheap emulations of eminence/selenium, and like everyone, L7's. The work looked freaking amazing (sans the cheap ass equipment), but the FIRST time they fired the system up (literally) they had to replace the guy's car. They managed to have shorted a 0/1 AWG power cable to ground long enough to melt the carpet through and set it on fire, cook all the 'glasswork they did, and set a can of resin on fire left in the trunk. The whole car went up, I ended up finding it at a local junk yard, I used to have pics, but alas, they are lost to the massiveness of the internets.

I just fixed it myself, I'm not the kind of person to make a fuss over it, I hate being a nuisance. I just took the tape off and put in 4 screws... whatever. I just thought I'd share my bad experiences with you guys, so you think twice when choosing where to take your car...

There are hackers out there everywhere.

Even in small private shops.

I wouldnt trust my vehicles to many people to install stuff on, but I would let Chris install for me any day. There was also another fellow at the BB he worked at that seemed knowledgeable.

I sure as hell wouldnt let someone install my stuff without talking to them first to get a feel for their knowledge or lack thereof.

There are hackers out there everywhere.

Even in small private shops.

I wouldnt trust my vehicles to many people to install stuff on, but I would let Chris install for me any day. There was also another fellow at the BB he worked at that seemed knowledgeable.

I sure as hell wouldnt let someone install my stuff without talking to them first to get a feel for their knowledge or lack thereof.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I had my remote starter installed at Best buy, and other than the fact that they forgot to wire tie a wire they ran under the hood, they did a nice, clean job of installing it. I knew that the wire they ran under the hood was going to be a nuisance, so i just fixed that myself. I ran it through the factory wire loom, and routed it with some other factory wiring under the engine cover. The only thing showing that there was some work done is the fact that I used white zip ties, and not black ones like GM.