3.4 DOHC question.

Hippie

fans are same, alternator is the same but with the case clocked differently, fuel pump i dunno, and the radiator for the 3.4 was thicker than my 91 lumina's 3.1 radiator but the same thickness as my 94 3.1 radiator.

fans are same,

wrong

the fans are not the same between a 3.4 and the 3.1. the are interchangable as far as bolts and the slots go, but the wires are different. the 3.1 has the plug mounted right to the fan motor with the wire coming up to the motor. the 3.4 has about a 6" wire coming from the motor, then meets with the plug. and also, there is a similar plug type difference with the driver's side/passenger side fan. trust me, i just changed my fans about a month ago cuz my driver one went out. so i got a driver's side from a 3.1 '91 Lumina, and the plugs were, as described above, different. so then i bought a passenger side(supposed to be driver) from a guy online, but i had to splice the old plug in, but no big deal. as far as clearence and mounting, they are all interchangable, just electric plugs differ.

The fans on my 94 3.4 DOHC are completely different than the 88-90 2.8 and 3.1's. The 94's fan frames both have 3 fat webbed legs while the 89 and 90 fan frames both have 4 skinny legs. 88-90 the top mounts attached to a fiberglass or plastic carrier above the radiator while the 94's fans are mounted directly to the radiator, the fiberglass carrier is omitted. I don't know if it's an engine difference or just model year difference.

I think it might be a model year difference. On my sis's 96 Gp with 3100, the fans, *I think* looked different. Something you said Shawn about a 3 prong mount compared to a 4 prong mount. I'll check her 95 Monte with 3100 when she gets home to be sure

Robby

I should have specified between 3.1's and 3.4's in otherwise identical cars. Say a Lumina Euro and a Z-34 of the same year, but you guys have given me the info I was needing, thanks again.