My luck is awesome...

91LuminaEuro

So, today my fraternity was at an old folks home and we were on our way back and the roads got kinda hairy while we were there...welp was going around a turn and well didnt make it all the way around and bounced off of a street sign. (specifically one of the black arrows around a corner) Bent the mirror away from the door, the glass for the mirror flew off somewhere..and the door is tweaked a little... 

Kinda sucks..but nothing i could do, it was ice under the snow, and i was driving slow enough, just got un-lucky...everyone in the car was ok, it was slow and we hit the sign and stopped int he grass on the side of the road.  Got back out and kept going...oh well..

Here are some shitty cell phone pics...I'll get better ones with my camera monday..

n35104578_32420134_814.jpg

The mirror glass missing...

[/img]http://photos-f.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v1152/183/85/35104578/n35104578_32420133_502.jpg[/img]

Hard to see here, but the door doesnt sit all the way tight...i think something is tweaked...gonna have to take a look at this...

$8 at the jy and it never happened.

...My car is a 92 and the mirrors are metal. I never really notice the mirrors came in plastic either. I will have to check this out next time I'm at the jy.

There is no way to defend yourself against black ice...especially under a snow covered road. Nothing i could do but hold on and make sure everyone in the car was safe.

upgrade to the plastic mirrors used on 92-94 luminas.

mirror breakoff > door destruction

my 93 Z had metal mirrors.......

I have one of each. The metal one has a nasty gouge in the paint thanks to some asshat in a parking lot, I might find a plastic one in the j/y

thanks to some asshat in a parking lot,

haha..very good way to put it, i think the parking garage here at school is FULL of those kind of people...i hate it

I was 16 and only had my permit and too much of a pussy to do anything about it then. And i was waiting for my mom who was in the store

Well..quick update...got the old mirror off..and the door pannel..

Where the mirror bolts up to the door is bent, fixable just want to wait till the new mirror is here and then i can use it to judge how much to tweak it.

Also used a 2x4 and my ass to fix the other tweak in the door.

Hopefully going to the JY tomorrow to pick up a new one...just hope its open, the old lady is finnicky about her hours because she jsut gets lazy and quits whenever she wants, so you have to go early...but i cant go earl i have to watch my dads shop while he takes my mom to the doctors...

Also discovered that the piece of black trim around hte mirror on the front corner is MIA...must have come off when i hit the sign...so ill grab that when im at the yard as well..

I've got pics...ill post later probably...

Keep the metal mirrors and drive more defensively

X2 I guess it all depends on where he lives. Kinda like i'm sure there are tons of accidents and stuff happening in Vegas right now all because of an amount of snow that me or you (or anyone else who has any kind of real winter) would have no problem handling because of we have experience in those conditions.

However, if you live in an area where you have an actual winter, then seriously consider a set of winter tires. Yea, they might seem a little pricey, but situations like that are the perfect example of why they are a good investment. I'd rather pay the price for winter tires instead of paying to fix damage done to my car. Not only from my driving, but from other people as well. I have had to accelerate on snow packed roads to avoid getting rear ended and i know that all seasons would not have had the traction to do so. (the guy behind be was sliding around on newish all seasons) Yes, you can make due with all seasons, but there is no, no, NO comparison between the 2 of them. Its really hard to explain the differences in words, it's more of a feeling you need to experience for yourself.

I know that there are people who will always disagree with me, but those are usually the ones who have never tried a good set of winter tires.

I am not saying that you don't know how to handle your vehicle, as I am sure that you are, just that no matter how careful you are, shit can still happen, and proper tires can help give you the extra cushion necessary to avoid an accident from happening.

Yup, i agree winter tires do help a great deal most of the time. Im from Western PA, so im used to winter weather and I had my snow tires on. It just wasnt my lucky day, i wasnt doing anything wrong. Nothing i could have done would have saved me aside from staying home that morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I dislike the metal mirrors because they do more damage when they do break. You can rip a plastic mirror straight off the door without damaging anything but a metal likes to hold on till the end lol.

Check to be sure it does not affect the window track and it should be fine