Tearing apart a '98 GTP tomorrow, questions..

1990lumina

I'm finally going to rip apart that 1998 GTP I have with 453500km on it..it is a sedan.

Just a few questions on how stuff comes apart on that car without destroying anything.

1. HUD removal - what all do I take with it and how does it come out?

2. DIC removal - how does it come out?

3. Airbag removal - how does the steering wheel one come out (not too worried about the passenger side yet)?

4. Radio removal - how does it come out?

5. Climate control module - how does it come out?

6. Door panels - how do they come off, just some screws and clips?

7. Side mirrors - how do they come off?

8. Do the window regulators suck to take out (riveted in or anything?)

What else is worth pulling out in the interior of this car? It has a shitty cloth seats and they are worn right out so not worth pulling - plus the drivers one doesn't move back and forth anymore.

As far as body panels everything is straight still and will go cheap - some would need paint while others are good still. I think I'll leave the body intact and fill the interior with stripped parts.

Motor and transmission probably won't come out till spring...to f'in cold out to pull it.

Thanks!

DIC removal is pretty easy. Take off the dash trim and there should be a few screws(can't remember how many). Climate control should be the same was as the DIC.

Are you planning on stripping the entire car out, or just parting out what will sell and junk the rest?

Mileage mainly - plus it needs a master cylinder, brake hoses, rotors, calipers and pads. The rear struts are completely blown out (rear bounces forever over the smallest bump)..ABS light is on so it probably needs a wheel speed sensor or two...

I could fix it up and drive it daily with minimal problems probably but I'll never get out what I put in to it. It was someone's daily driver up until they traded it in at our dealership - not sure how he safely drove it for so long.

I got it for $200 and sold the 5 spoke chrome wheels + tires for $300 so it paid for itself lol. I seriously considering fixing it up a bit and driving it or giving it to my sister's boyfriend for cost of parts but it's easier to strip it and sell parts lol.

DIC removal is pretty easy. Take off the dash trim and there should be a few screws(can't remember how many). Climate control should be the same was as the DIC.

Are you planning on stripping the entire car out, or just parting out what will sell and junk the rest?

Entire car, although I don't think I'll do much more this winter after tomorrow. It's at my buddies farm so it's not in anyone's way.

I can always get small things off of it - just don't feel like laying in a snow bank pulling the motor, etc. lol.

I work with the guy who is storing it so he can always pull small parts off too and bring them in for me.

SSPX0257Large.jpg

SSPX0258Large.jpg

th_2-1.jpg

Oh ya, I guess I should of mentioned to get it back on the road it needs a front bumper cover and front headlights too. When I drove the car out to my buddies palce I tore the bumper off when i got there. All that was holding the whole thing on wasa piece of mechanics wire lol.

1. HUD removal - what all do I take with it and how does it come out?

The HUD dash pad cover is just held on with clips. Gently pry it up with a flathead screwdriver, and pull straight up. The HUD unit itself is just held in by two torx bolts. I forget which size off hand. Cut as much of the wire harness that's plugged into it as possible if you plan on selling it. Gen 2 GPs were hit or miss on being prewired for HUD. Make sure you get the height/dimmer switches, too. They just snap into place by push in clips on either side, and come out pretty easily without even pressing on them (just wiggle it back and forth till it comes loose). Make sure you snip a good length of wire on those, too.

2. DIC removal - how does it come out?

Once you remove the trim plate around the radio/HVAC controls/DIC/gauge cluster (all once piece, and just held on by clips), it actually comes out very easily. It's held in by 2 push in clips that don't even secure them very well. Again, just wiggle it side to side a bit, and it will uninstall.

3. Airbag removal - how does the steering wheel one come out (not too worried about the passenger side yet)?

Disconnect the battery for at LEAST 15 minutes before attempting anything with the airbags. I believe there are two screws behind the steering wheel holding the airbag on. Remove those, and disconnect the power. I forget where the module is (which is even more important than the airbag itself if you intend to sell it).

4. Radio removal - how does it come out?

The radio is just held in by 2 bolts. Remove those, slide out the radio, disconnect the radio and steering wheel harness, and antenna cable, and you're done.

5. Climate control module - how does it come out?

Again, just held in by a few bolts. Remove, and disconnect the harness.

6. Door panels - how do they come off, just some screws and clips?

Yes.

7. Side mirrors - how do they come off?

Once the door panels are off, I believe there's only a bolt or two holding it on, and the power connection has a harness at some point that can be disconnected.

8. Do the window regulators suck to take out (riveted in or anything?)

These are a pain in the ass to get to, uninstall and remove. Only worth going through if you're POSITIVE they all work. Even then, they're not worth too terribly much on account of w-bodies (and many GMs in general) being notorious for window regulators going bad, so people aren't too fond of going through all that pain to replace them with used ones that are going to go out again who knows when.

What else is worth pulling out in the interior of this car?

Steering wheel radio controls (good for $20 - $30 on eBay if they're in good condition/unworn, and marketed properly), gear shifter knob w/performance shift button (if the leather is in good shape), and if the power doors/windows switches and trim are in good shape, there's always a market for those. I'd say the heated driver's seat switch, but that wasn't an option with cloth seats, so I doubt you have it.

Disconnect the battery for at LEAST 15 minutes before attempting anything with the airbags. I believe there are two screws behind the steering wheel holding the airbag on. Remove those, and disconnect the power. I forget where the module is (which is even more important than the airbag itself if you intend to sell it).

Is it hard to pull the pass. side airbag? It may be worth some money (module and pair of airbags) if somone is repairing a wrecked car. I pulled an airbag for the first time when I pulled the passenger airbag out of my 96 cutlass when I had it. I was scared it was going to blow up in my face even though it had been unhooked from power for almost a week.

There really is no danger in pulling air bags. There is tons of hype about it - but I personally feel way more comfortable pulling an airbag then I do working around gasoline fumes. Most airbag connections have shorting bars in them so there is no risk of static discharge.

I don't think I'll sell them (just blow them up at the farm)...but I wanted to know so I can pull the wheel. Might sell the clockspring if there is a market for those though.

<-----needs unbroken master window switch trim piece that goes around the switches themselves

The switches unclip from that trim piece right?? If so I can get you that piece for the cost of shipping lol

The display is one light bulb.  I just had to do this fix for someone I traded a CD player with (for brand new MSD wires).  I snagged a bunch of the bulbs out of some tape decks at the junkyard because I didn't feel like going to Radio Shack, wasting $5 for a new bulb, and most importantly, messing with soldering it into the socket.  Here is a link on how to fix it:

http://www.backinblackgp.com/Radio_Lamp_repair.htm