GTP help

swift13

ok gtp guys i know i should get some good tips and info out of this. I just bought a 98 gtp what are some of the best things i can do to (A)keep it well maintained (B) increase the power ??? and not just the engine but suspension and everything else as well. im sorry i know there is probably a lot of stuff already on this site about it but i dont know what is better or worse and what should i start with and price ranging and all that other B.S.

thank you in advance

Steve B

maint:

change your supercharger oil !! easily overlooked.

plugs. people just like to not do these.

make sure the recall was fixed, and if not, get it done.(front valve cover gasket)

power:

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/index.php

suspension:

get this. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=pk12456148

It's really up to how much $$ you wanna put into it, and what are yer goals........Do you want an 11 second GTP? Or just a quick, fun daily driver?

I'f yer just looken for a little fun out of a daily driver......just make sure the basics maintence is done....S/C oil, Plugs& Wires, make sure the controll arm bushings are good..........they tend to go. (i know mine need to b replaced in the spring).

If yer not plannen on doing much to it........ get a Fenderwell intake (you can buy the tubing and a 9'' cone off ZZP), 3'' downpipe w/ U-Bend deliete, P-Log, 180 T-Stat, Autolite 104 plugs (or NGK TR6's), a DHP 1.0 pcm, and a 3.5'' pulley for the blower and u got yerself a relatively in-expensive setup wich will run high 13's......while keeping the car more than reliable.

start carrying a fire extinguisher in the car :) j/k

buy something like an Interceptor scan gauge or a used LS1M that will allow you to check for KR (and more). definitely before you drop a pulley size anyway. 12" front brakes from a '00+ Impala/Monte is a good idea too.

Increasing the power is easy up to a certain extent. Once you exhaust some of the simple bolt ons, which are only good for low 14s/high 13s, it gets a bit more involved, and a lot more costly (rockers, cams, etc). But as 9lumina6 said, a simple 3.4" pulley, 3" downpipe with high-flow cat, u-bend delete, CAI/FWI, colder plugs, colder t-stat, and a reprogrammed PCM to run all that will net you a significant increase in power (~300hp at the crank). I'm about to add this all myself, and with some shrewd shopping, it's only cost me about $300. Get a ZZP Powerlog, or headers (if you can spare the change, they're expensive), and you'll crank out a few more.

For the suspension, you can either go with the GMPP package mentioned above if you want to take handling to the extreme, or get simple KYB GR2 struts for a slightly stiffer ride than stock, but not jaw jarring over bumps and imperfections.

The maintenance has already been covered pretty well. You've got a '98, so remember a lot of little things are going to be 97/98 year specific.

Increasing the power is easy up to a certain extent. Once you exhaust some of the simple bolt ons, which are only good for low 14s/high 13s, it gets a bit more involved, and a lot more costly (rockers, cams, etc). But as 9lumina6 said, a simple 3.4" pulley, 3" downpipe with high-flow cat, u-bend delete, CAI/FWI, colder plugs, colder t-stat, and a reprogrammed PCM to run all that will net you a significant increase in power (~300hp at the crank). I'm about to add this all myself, and with some shrewd shopping, it's only cost me about $300. Get a ZZP Powerlog, or headers (if you can spare the change, they're expensive), and you'll crank out a few more.

For the suspension, you can either go with the GMPP package mentioned above if you want to take handling to the extreme, or get simple KYB GR2 struts for a slightly stiffer ride than stock, but not jaw jarring over bumps and imperfections.

The maintenance has already been covered pretty well. You've got a '98, so remember a lot of little things are going to be 97/98 year specific.

I ran my 13.47 on basic bolt ons........still had stock catback, stock rear manifold....stock non-ported M-90....No innercooler....stock throttle body, and just 93 octane pump gas. My GTP has been called a freak by many ppl on the GP forums.....cause nobody else has ever ran a 13.4 on a 3.4'' pulley w/o headers.

My goal.....(now this is just more of a hope really....not expecting this) Is to run a 12.999 on my setup this spring WITHOUT and IC, Rockers, or cam. I have a gut feeling it mite happen if the track and air conditions are perfict....like the night i ran my 13.4 on my old setup.

thanks for all the info guys. it would be nice if i can get all this or some of this done to put out some nice power. im not looking to own everything on the road with speed i just wanna have a little when i need it.

as far as suspension goes, is there anything that gives me comfort as well as support(now this sounds like a bra commercial). this car is an DD so a little ride quality would be great.

thanks for all the info guys. it would be nice if i can get all this or some of this done to put out some nice power. im not looking to own everything on the road with speed i just wanna have a little when i need it.

as far as suspension goes, is there anything that gives me comfort as well as support(now this sounds like a bra commercial). this car is an DD so a little ride quality would be great.

Leave the stock struts/springs in it.... and just get the GMPP handling kit for it.

yeah, lowering springs can be a PITA and the ride will be harsh. i had the KYB AGX adjustable struts and SSC lowering springs in my car for awhile and even at the #1 setting on the struts (softest) i still thought the ride was wayyyy too firm and ended up hating it! and that was with the stock 225/60s. 18" wheels and low profile tires would have been hell. also, the lack of ground clearance ended up with a slightly bent trans pan so i had to be REALLY REALLY careful driving it. i'd agree - leave the stock springs in there and get GR-2s and GMPP handling kit. i went with Monroe Sensa-Trac struts since i wanted a NICE ride. not saying the GR2s are harsh but i like my Buick ride lol. BFG Traction TAs are a good choice. i bought the T-rated tires but H-rated version will be better at the expense of some decreased tire life. don't overlook the brakes :exclaim: because these cars need it! maybe even go with F-body (dual piston) upgrade with 12" rotors, good pads, GOOD rotors (no chinese crap, get something like Brembo blanks), Goodrich braided SS hoses and flush all that old fluid out of there.

my friend Dan (sl3196) has DHP PCM 1.0, Wizaired CAI (at the time), AL 104s, 3" ZZP downpipe without U-bend or resonator, 1.9 roller rockers, 3.4" pulley and was still getting some KR IIRC. it was wayyyyyyyy faster than my stock GS though and that's an understatement :)

on a side note, i hear alot of L67 owners wishing that the first mod they invested in was an intercooler. obviously that is $$$$ though. personally, i wouldn't even drop down to 3.5" pulley on my car unless i had an off the shelf PCM, JMB FWI, AL 605s, and a 3" downpipe (and obviously a way to scan, but luckily i can borrow Dan's). then again, the SLP cars had a 3.5" pulley with less supporting mods than that.

Great information, seems like there are alot well talented guys on here with alot of knowledge. I too plan on getting a GTP or Regal GS, I wanted to know, do these cars having a Supercharger and all need to run on only premium gas?

That's what is recommended, yes. I've heard of people who tuned to run on regular/mid-grade gas and have been fine. My dad's friend has a 99 GTP and he always puts in mid-grade level fuel, and the car runs great. Personally, I'd never do anything less than premium though, especially if you're going to mod!

once again great info, i do need some new brakes so maybe i will upgrade i dont like none of that not made in the u.s. shit so i will be getting some of the better stuff and the ride right now is really harsh but i havent gotten it in the air to check for anything and i am assuming i will be replacing the front struts and ties and other crap once i take a look.

i really dont think i will be doing any of this extra and beyond mods(id like to!!!) but it just isnt in the cards at this point

my real project is my vert so i have to just service and maintain the GTP so i dont get stuck somewhere i dont belong.

I'm going to be doing the basic mods myself, too. Just bought the ZZP 3" catted bolt in downpipe and 1.0 PCM during their Black Friday sale. I already had a JMB FWI bought used off ClubGP, and I purchased a 3.4" for $25 shipped the 3rd week I had the car. You can go a lot further, but I've learned to A. not waste so much money on cars, and B. keep things as close to a normal, RELIABLE daily driver as possible. When you get beyond a certain point, it becomes a domino effect of needing a beefier trans, stronger cv axles, etc, not to mention always being nervous that something is going to break, and not withstand the added power.

If you do lower it at all, they do make anti-pogo washers to tone down the jolting/bottoming out effect over imperfections in the road. You'll also probably want to go with the shorter dog bones which also helps eliminate some of the harshness. Otherwise, stock springs and KYB GR2's don't really need anything else (other than the highly advised replacement of the old strut bearings/mounts).

And yes, 9lumina6, your car is a freak if it hit those kinds of times with just those mods. :eek:

I just bought a set of ZZP Stage 2 axles, which are supposed to be even stronger than stock, yet only cost $250 for the pair (crap quality, Chinese aftermarket ones run close to that). I have to replace those, the outer tie rods, control arms and wheel bearings up front. :sad:

I just bought a set of ZZP Stage 2 axles, which are supposed to be even stronger than stock, yet only cost $250 for the pair (crap quality, Chinese aftermarket ones run close to that). I have to replace those, the outer tie rods, control arms and wheel bearings up front. :sad:

Yeahh.... you do not wanna buy the store brand CV's for a GTP if its anything more then bone stock..... one hard launch on those and they have been known to snap in half.......GM ones are alot thicker.......thats y ZZP rebuilts OEM GM ones .........i bought a set of CV's off an 05 Impala SS from the local GM yard here cause they were only $125 for both and they only had 25K on em.

yeah, lowering springs can be a PITA and the ride will be harsh. i had the KYB AGX adjustable struts and SSC lowering springs in my car for awhile and even at the #1 setting on the struts (softest) i still thought the ride was wayyyy too firm and ended up hating it! and that was with the stock 225/60s. 18" wheels and low profile tires would have been hell. also, the lack of ground clearance ended up with a slightly bent trans pan so i had to be REALLY REALLY careful driving it. i'd agree - leave the stock springs in there and get GR-2s and GMPP handling kit. i went with Monroe Sensa-Trac struts since i wanted a NICE ride. not saying the GR2s are harsh but i like my Buick ride lol. BFG Traction TAs are a good choice. i bought the T-rated tires but H-rated version will be better at the expense of some decreased tire life. don't overlook the brakes :exclaim: because these cars need it! maybe even go with F-body (dual piston) upgrade with 12" rotors, good pads, GOOD rotors (no chinese crap, get something like Brembo blanks), Goodrich braided SS hoses and flush all that old fluid out of there.

my friend Dan (sl3196) has DHP PCM 1.0, Wizaired CAI (at the time), AL 104s, 3" ZZP downpipe without U-bend or resonator, 1.9 roller rockers, 3.4" pulley and was still getting some KR IIRC. it was wayyyyyyyy faster than my stock GS though and that's an understatement :)

on a side note, i hear alot of L67 owners wishing that the first mod they invested in was an intercooler. obviously that is $$$$ though. personally, i wouldn't even drop down to 3.5" pulley on my car unless i had an off the shelf PCM, JMB FWI, AL 605s, and a 3" downpipe (and obviously a way to scan, but luckily i can borrow Dan's). then again, the SLP cars had a 3.5" pulley with less supporting mods than that.

When did I get a zzp downpipe? :lol: I bought an old m&s off paul back in the day haha. But I would say with my mods my car is a blast to drive and has been very reliable. Almost 170k on it and all those mods have been on for a good 50k.

When did I get a zzp downpipe? :lol: I bought an old m&s off paul back in the day haha. But I would say with my mods my car is a blast to drive and has been very reliable. Almost 170k on it and all those mods have been on for a good 50k.

Yer out in Wyoming..... so yer lucky u dont go thru CV axles like we do here in NY w. the same setup........ ive driven out there to Wyoming alot......i wish i lived out there.... so i could run an even smaller pully... and have my tranny/axles last longer lol. Here in NY....that shit goes FAST if u dont have the upgraded stuff.