rear strut rattle mystery continues..

Lee

Got my bad rear right strut replaced and guess what, the rattle is worse. Nothing is loose with the car down on the ground or up in the air at the shop. The guy, who I place little to no faith in other than he got the new strut in, didn't find anything loose either.

Next step is to ride in the trunk to localize the rattle better.

Plus side.........After cleaning the IAC and throttlebody, The idle relearn finally took. I had a new battery put in two weeks ago after getting stranded.

One year ago they replaced both struts that were only one and 1/2 year old at the time, and put two new mounts in. One strut had froze up and gone through the mount into the trunk. It had a seriously back slapping harsh ride after that. I was really broke and didn't want that harsh ride again so I had just the one changed. It had leaked oil out of it and was weak. The invoice says they replaced strut/mount. So it's probably another new mount. I think they'd said it came as a set when I had it done last year.

I had thought the strut must be rattling internally without the oil in it.

The rattle is definately from the right side only. I'm wondering if the mono leaf could be the culprit if the rubber end cap piece is thrashed. It looks worn through on the bottom. Would it rattle though?