May be tinting windows...some questtions

godofthunder

Hey there yall...

I may be tinting my windows soon. While i like the way it looks, im mainly doing it to keep the heat down in inteior, help my eyes at night, and most importantly, keep the interior from fading as much.

But, this time ( i have done it myself on my last 2 vehicles), i think i may go professional. What kinda cossts am I looking at?

Also, does anyone have a Cutlass, with tinted windows. Im REALLY currious how it will look with the BLACK B and C pillars

jon

Ya, way to expensive IMO to do it professionally, plus, you can't get it done very dark due to laws and what not. I bought 4 rolls of 2.5% Limo tint for 20 bucks a roll and did my whole car. 80 bucks and about 4-5 hours of work for 2.5% on all but the windshield, it looks DAMN good IMO.

Yeah I've done that numerous times. It isn't as a high quality as what the pros use. And if you accidently clean it with ammonia, it'll go purple on ya.

But I've seen the cheap tint, aka walmart etc.., start to peel after awhile. On every car I've ever known to have the cheap tint, after quite some time, the edges will start to curl back, like where it hits the window seals. Just something to keep in mind.

Any place around here will put on what you want. They just make sure you KNOW the law before they put it on... it's kinda your choice.. drop 250 bucks on tint and have to take it off in 2 days? Or maybe you'll get away with it...

Yeah, can you pm me or email me some pics of the light tint?

I was thinking of going cheapo...but, i dont wanan make it look like crap. My car looks somewhat nice...and i dont want shitty tint.

THanks

jon

What kind of reflective? I had some kind of semi-metallic tint on mine.. Granted I don't have chrome rims and I have 2 more doors... but you get the idea...

fc2f8886.jpg

i have tint on mine and it really helps in the summer time, of course my tint is illegal in my city, ahhhh but who cares

tint here costs $200 Canadian dollars, and i would suggest doing it professionally, unless you have had experience doing this sort of thing.

if you want more pictures of the tint, click on my signature

Yeah I've done that numerous times. It isn't as a high quality as what the pros use. And if you accidently clean it with ammonia, it'll go purple on ya.

But I've seen the cheap tint, aka walmart etc.., start to peel after awhile. On every car I've ever known to have the cheap tint, after quite some time, the edges will start to curl back, like where it hits the window seals. Just something to keep in mind.

My dad owns a company here that does window tint and he uses Lumar films and it has a lifetime warenty on discoloration and if it starts to fade or change colors you just have to take your car to any Lumar dealer and they have to replace it....all tint will fade and peel over time...pending on brands and all...ive seen some of the pros tints fade in a year ive seen some last for years....Also all tint pros or cheap will fad if you use a ammonia based cleaner, Windex etc....you can buy cleans that say tint safe or ammonia free...

Reflective tint sucks, I tried 5% mirror on mine, NOT mirror at all, I thought about getting the mirror tint they put on high rise buildings, but decided it would be easier just to buy the 2.5%.

Here's some links of my N-body with 5% the whole way around, if it ever peels up, that window gets retinted for free. That's why I choose professional tinting. All this run me $200 bucks w/ the "Ram Air" sticker on the windshield.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/2000grandamgt/images/00GAGTside.JPG

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/2000grandamgt/images/00GAGTass.JPG

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/2000grandamgt/images/00GAGTramairvinyl.JPG

Aaron

I have used Windex on my old car that I tinted the windows in. There tint is still the same color, not purple. It also is not peeling (yet?) The doors are 35% and the rest is 5%. Here it is legal to have the back as dark as you want as long as the front doors let at least 35% light in and the car has mirrors on both doors. (Green Bay, WI) Next time I go to my mom's I'll take a couple pictures of my sister's tint. It's professional and the coolest I have ever seen.

I'm actually thinking about doing the reflective tint. I personally would think that I would look bad as hell on a white car with chromes :D

that is exactly what i am doing when i get the money for it, it would look sweet

Reflective tint sucks, I tried 5% mirror on mine, NOT mirror at all, I thought about getting the mirror tint they put on high rise buildings, but decided it would be easier just to buy the 2.5%.

was this somehting that you put on, or did you get it proffesionally done, because i see many lexus cars with great looking factory mirror tint