glove box lock

jake91

i have a 1994 cutlass. as you know these cars have the glove box on top of the dash, and they dont have a lock. now since i like to leave the top down i wish it did. so my question is is there any way to rig up a lock on one of these while keeping it close to stock looking. any ideas

thanks

i have a 1994 cutlass. as you know these cars have the glove box on top of the dash, and they dont have a lock. now since i like to leave the top down i wish it did. so my question is is there any way to rig up a lock on one of these while keeping it close to stock looking. any ideas

thanks

probably.... but then someone will just bust up your dash. better not to keep valuables in there.

in all reality, the "lock" is actually a lock cylinder with NO tumblers in it. a gen 1 lumina lock is very easy to disassemble and you could salvage enough parts to re-key a lock from 2 or 3 donors... but they you'd have to cut a slot in the knob..............

better not to keep valuables in there.

i dont it is just that i keep my insurance card and registration in there, and i dont want any one to easily be able to get my information

I wish my car had a glove box lock too. Not that they wouldn't be easy to pick, I would just like to have it as a deterrent. Jake, as to storing valuables with the top down, flip the chrome switch on the underside of the trunk lid. It disables the keyless trunk release as well as the under dash button, making the key the only way to get into the trunk without breaking something,

?!?

so... posting about what people do and what steal from your glovebox is not on topic?

someone rifled thru the 94 sedan and busted my glove box open on a MINT perfect dash... and even though it does not lock and was not locked... they still busted up my dash... and there was nothing to take.

better if you just leave nothing of value in there...

(specifically: a thief will even bust a unlocked lock)

Glovebox latches, even those that lock are infamously weak. if someone wants in that badly, they can just bust up your dash.

People have been fleeced with information thieves steal from your glovebox. This includes false claims against your car insurance policy. If you really want to secure your stuff, locate a different location to secure things. Keep an insurance card in your wallet, and keep your registration, another copy of you insurance card and other paperwork in the trunk.

On convertibles there is a disabling switch in the trunk for increased security, granted, you could do a little more work to figure out how to keep the remote release enabled but the dash mounted switch disabled in ANY of our cars. you could install a hidden disabling switch in the dash wire, but leaving the remote wire fully enabled.

well actually i now know it is pointless to do all that work to put a lock in when they will probably just break it no matter what

well actually i now know it is pointless to do all that work to put a lock in when they will probably just break it no matter what

Yes, for the work required to do it, definately not worth it. Just keep any valueable's out of, or hidden, in your vehicle