Not audio but electrical

HuffDaddy

There is no electrical section so I figured this was the best spot (sorry mods.): when my defroster setting is on (front defrost) and I turn my car off my defroster stays on forever!! This is only in the defrost setting and I installed new radio and speakers (never used defrost before the install so although I don't think the two are related I cant be sure) has anyone experienced this?? Any info on a fix?? For informational purposes I have a BASE 1990 Lumina with the 2.5L I4.

WOAH! Iron duke!

But anyways... You are saying the fan actually stays on with the key removed?

Yep, that's what he's saying. This is caused by a short to ground keeping the circuit powered when the defrost button is selected regardless of whether or not the key is on or off.

To the original poster: A guy on the board here recently made a post about being able to get wiring diagrams/repair info. I would send him a private message requesting the wiring diagram for that circuit and then get yourself a multimeter and start troubleshooting to find your shorted wire/connection.. His post can be found here: http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=72322.0

PM Sent, thanks!

Yes the Iron Duke!! I am guessing there aren't too many W Bodies out there with this motor. I see way more 60 Degree V6's out there. It is no racecar but I get great MPG's and with only 76K on the clock it should last forever.

can anyone get some figures on the rarity of this? i've never even seen one running or in a yard.

I've seen one in a JY with chris. Base as hell. It had the ugliest hubcaps I've ever seen, maroon paint, maroon interior (or was it tan?) with a column shift. I wanted it soooo bad! :lol:

My friend had and iron duke lumina he drove for probably 4-5 years, that thing rocked.  His dad took the cat off for some reason, but left the muffler on, it had like a wierd very raspy buzz exhaust tone.  The power steering started to go bad, he took it into the shop and they said somehow the timing chain or something had wore a hole in the timing cover, it started to leak oil like a SOB, so he parked it at his parents.  I helped him find a 94 Firebird with the pushrod 3.4, he drove that till last spring he just bought a 04 or 05 Sebring IIRC.

I have some pics of his iron duke lumina (it's in the background):

Pics048.jpg

Pics046.jpg

Pics026.jpg

Pics011.jpg

Hey thanks for giving it a shot; I will get a multimeter and start from the switch backwards. If anyone hears anything regarding a fix for this before I find the issue let me know.