Anybody ever look into all aluminum radiators?

gpchris

Mines leaking.. I was thinking about replacing it with an all aluminum radiator that wont crack or leak as bad as our plastics ones.. Plus the one i would get would be 100% dedicated to engine cooling unlike the factory ones where half of its used as a tranny cooler. Plus these ones are almost twice as thick.

2149067351_aeed7d5fec_o.jpg

mmmm... factory is 30x15 the closest i could find was 28x16.. anybody look into this before?

never have. never had any problem with the stock one keeping the car cool enough. besides mine dosen't cool trans fluid... anymore. that and generally those all aluminum ones are major $$$

Contact these guys http://www.bsandbradiator.com/home.html I see their booths at a lot of the bigger car shows in Ontario.

I have tossed around the idea, but the stock rad is holding nicely, sort of the situation "don't fix what isn't broken".

What are you thinking for the trans cooler? Something separate? or delete it completely?

Jamie

i had a guy tell me he'd make me one for $400. They used to make them for race cars at my previous job (race shop). Go to a local radiator place and they should be able to point you in the right direction. They make them per order to your specs

Contact these guys http://www.bsandbradiator.com/home.html I see their booths at a lot of the bigger car shows in Ontario.

I have tossed around the idea, but the stock rad is holding nicely, sort of the situation "don't fix what isn't broken".

What are you thinking for the trans cooler? Something separate? or delete it completely?

Jamie

Well for one, im in more of a "its broken, gotta fix it" situation. An all aluminum one would only be about $200. No need for a tranny cooler because I have a manual trans. One thats almost twice as thick and 100% dedicated to engine cooling would leave the fans practically useless. And ofcourse being all aluminum I dont have to worry about the plastic cracking (may not have been a problem for you yet but it was for me).

FWIW: He has a 5speed now.

Ohhhhh yeah, blonde moment on my part!

Jamie

6-speed!

Ive never had a problem, especially with the dual core radiators for our cars. They are aluminum radiators with plastic tanks.

Im not claiming that the factory ones arent aluminum, im saying they arent ALL aluminum. My plastic cracked. and if i replace it with the oem radiator half of it will be taking up space cuz i dont need a tranny cooler..

At any rate, let us know what you find out... a few others might be interested in them. I plan to go manual in the future as well, so I will have no need for the tranny cooler either...

Jamie

Cracked radiator endtanks can be replaced cheaply at most radiator repair shops....or you could buy the endtank yourself and replace it. Other than that, you can get a stock radiator from www.1800radiator.com for a very decent price. Search the powertrain section, I posted a $25 off coupon from there the other day. With the coupon, a new radiator should be right around $100. :wink: