dash swap

89SupremeCutty

next summer i was thinking of swapping out my lumina dash for something that can accept the hud that i bought a while back. i was thinking of a dash from a '96 gp would be close to my '98 lumina. the hud i have i don't think will go in cause of the heater vents running behind the gauges being in the way of mounting so thats why im thinking of a gp dash.

my question is would a dash from a '96 gp swap into my lumina? if not would one from a cutlass swap in? im not only doing this cause of the hud i have, but i also like that the gp's have the DIC and i kinda want the lumi to be different. also if one from a cutlass would swap in would i be able to hook up the electronic climate controls they have?

i did go back into 1loudcuttys thread of when he swapped in his gp dash to try to answer my own questions. i guess i just really want to know if im going to have any mounting issues with whatever dash i swap in. thanks for the help.

The main mounting should not be different from the newer style dashes. Only the very early ones going to the later style needs to have the main IP Brace bolts drilled and such in the actual body.

You should if you want all to go smooth, get the heater ducts and the main IP brace that goes from side to side from the donor. I used my 96 CS IP and Vent ducts and its not exact, but atleast all I had to do is minor trimming.

The GP and CS use IDENTICAL mounting, hell, the airbad and gloveboxes are the same, and the CS rightside vent is pretty much identical. Im using it on my GP dash becasue the one I got was broken. It would take me saying to someone its not the GPs for them to even realized it, even then, they prolly wouldnt :lol:

If you want to do it all out, get a CS climate control setup from a donor, wiring wont be too bad if you have experience. You can use the CS climate control on the GP dash, it just go in the lower spot. All I had to do is add 2 screws to hold it in. It took me like 5 minutes.

Cliff Notes,

-There should be no issues with the mounting

-Get the ducting and IP brace from the donor

-The CS Climate Control can be wired in, but it can get extensive on the wiring

thank you so much for the info. it really helps. i've been thinking about doing this swap for a while now and im making a list of what's gota be done so in the spring i can go to the j/y and get what i need.

thank you so much for the info. it really helps. i've been thinking about doing this swap for a while now and im making a list of what's gota be done so in the spring i can go to the j/y and get what i need.

Trust me, it'll be worth the effort :wink:

Hell, im thinking about using a 04-up GP dash and style interior in my TGP :mrgreen: :eek:

i was thinking of getting a '97+ dash but i thought that wouldn't swap at all cause of the electronics and i thought a '96 would swap right in.

96 is gonna be easier, and IMHO, the 96 looks way better than the 97+ dash, well, up until the 04+ :lol:

A lot of the electronics really never changed too much to cause space or mounting issues, but I do believe Gen2 W's have a different airbad setup. Its easier to deal with the earlier airbags because wiring shouldnt be an issue. Shoud be plug and play..

i was thinking of getting a '97+ dash but i thought that wouldn't swap at all cause of the electronics and i thought a '96 would swap right in.

96 is gonna be easier, and IMHO, the 96 looks way better than the 97+ dash, well, up until the 04+ :lol:

A lot of the electronics really never changed too much to cause space or mounting issues, but I do believe Gen2 W's have a different airbad setup. Its easier to deal with the earlier airbags because wiring shouldnt be an issue. Shoud be plug and play..

that's exactly why i wanted to go with a '96 and not '97+. wiring with whatever dash i get shouldn't be too bad.