Heater Cores and C-L-R

Olds W31

I am sure someone on here has done this...I just wanted to report recent success in clearing out the heater core of my son's daily driver (not a W Body....) with C-L-R. Actually, we used the Home Depot equivalent, as if it didn't work, we would be out a dollar less.

Bottom line, heater hasn't worked for 3 years....today it does. Just make sure you flush the stuff out really, really good. And don't use it on aluminum. :high5:

Just make sure you flush the stuff out really, really good. And don't use it on aluminum. :high5:

Aren't heater cores aluminum?

Why not just buy a new one?

Ken has a few posts about this in detail.

again.... Would you try a plunger on a clogged toilet or just replace it?

yes. I have used vinegar cause it is cheap enough. and you can even separate the OEM heater core from it's connected lines, remove it to manually clean it and reattach the lines. I have only had one heater core that was bad, but i have flushed and remove and reinstalled all mine.

My journeyman has some old looking POS metal box that he uses to flush heater cores. Not sure how it even works but he claims even though it looks like a complete POS it works wonders.

again.... Would you try a plunger on a clogged toilet or just replace it?

yes. I have used vinegar cause it is cheap enough. and you can even separate the OEM heater core from it's connected lines, remove it to manually clean it and reattach the lines. I have only had one heater core that was bad, but i have flushed and remove and reinstalled all mine.

It's alot of work to get to heater core, if you have it out why not replace it?

the idea is that cleaning it can be done with it still in the car

and the few dollars that cleaning a heater core costs is a whole lot better to stomach then $50 for a new one.

worth the effort at least.

When Ken posted the instructions he was doing it in a sink.

I'm all for saving money, I'm just saying if you can get that far and get a aftermarket one for $50 why not?!