Can I trust my Cutlass?

Night Fury

Ok I totally know that is only up to me to decide, but feel free to throw in your opinion.

As some of you may know, I get my DL back in a few weeks.

I hope to be going to the IL meet, as well as Rolla MO, and hopefully California to visit my sis.

I hope to bring the cutty! :surprised:

I need tips on how to get her ready I guess.

-How to thoroughly bleed my brakes

-Should I flush the tranny

-Is it too late for a tranny cooler

-Tips on hub replacement

etc etc...

any other tips would be dandy.

This isn't too thorough but I need to get to work. Thanks!

-How to thoroughly bleed my brakes

-Should I flush the tranny

-Is it too late for a tranny cooler

-Tips on hub replacement

Open the bleeders and start pumping the brakes while having someone pour in clean fluid...Then bleed the brakes.

Probably not.

No.

You have a service manual, correct?

Is it even possible to flush your own tranny fluid?

Its never too late for a tranny cooler. They're awesome.

I've never bled my brakes on my Regal (188,500 miles), and I have absolutely no problems stopping. Consider I do some pretty spirited driving too, and regularly stress my braking system. I've heard people swear to me that I need to do it every 50,000 miles.

Umm, ok?

I'd make sure to have new, fresh fluids in the car, everything at full levels.

It is easy to do a coolant flush on your car if you have access to a hose. I flush my own coolant every 1-2 years on my TGP. Just drain out the old into a container, pull off the lower radiator hose, and spray water into the radiator (a nice nozzle works well). Then if you would like, pull off another line near your waterpump and spray through there until the water comes out clear and cool. Do the same on the line to the left that runs along the passenger front tire. Refill with the same type of coolant that is currently in it. If it is green now, don't switch to orange. That would be BAD!

Don't flush the tranny fluid, that will usually cause more problems. Just do a pan drop and replace the filter, refill.

New plugs and wires before the long trip maybe :dunno:

Thats what I'd do.

When I drove the 600 miles or whatever it was to the farr east side of Michigan in the Lumina a few years ago, I just did a basic tuneup. Plugs/wires, oil change. She made it there and back perfectly! I'm sure you'll have zero problems!

I did the whole hose/coolant flush with my ciera, worked fine. I may do that.

I'll read thru my service manual tonight... Forgot I had it! :willynilly:

You forgot the Wichita meet. :nono:

And that! :lol:

I have replaced literally everything related to spark, so I should be good there... :mad:

I'll def change the oil.

I'll see how she runs when I get her finished up and the idle re-learned... THAT will be the true test... if something is still wrong, all fucking bets are off.

May post more later... dead tired ATM.

I've found in my 6 months fixing cars that service manuals are definately not a reliable source sometimes. They always have errors, and rarely help you take anything apart. Your best bet is to just study it before taking it apart to see what holds it together and what all you feel is good enough to get the job done. Knowing a GM manual it probably says "1. Remove 4 bolts holding hub to vehicle. / 2. Remove hub."

Ok. I need to get the following done before I go on ANY trip, let alone the 1800-mile-one-way that I have planned:

-Register and license it(will cost several hundred... :evil: )

-One of the wheel bearings is bad (do I replace the whole hub? Should I do it or get it done? Should I just replace both?)

-Tranny cooler

-Put door panels back on

-Finish current job when I get the parts from Brian(thanks)

-Tires... Should I just keep the chromies on? I don't want them to touch snow... And I'm sure I'll see some going through CO... I need steelies then...

-Bleed brakes

-

Hmm. Then chance it and drive with the wheels. If worst comes to worst with snow, you can just stop for a while. I doubt it'll be that bad anyway.

I drove through snow in colorado, utah, and parts of nevada. It was GREAT. I was the only one on the road. Felt like rally racing.

Hmm. Then chance it and drive with the wheels. If worst comes to worst with snow, you can just stop for a while. I doubt it'll be that bad anyway.

I drove through snow in colorado, utah, and parts of nevada. It was GREAT. I was the only one on the road. Felt like rally racing.

That statement both gets me very excited, and upset.

I want to drive in the snow. BUT NOT with these wheels.

Eh... It's a little slow when it's cold(just started) but when it warms up it's fine.

And I also hope to have a newer cutty by then :lol: But I still would like to be able to drive the '91 a distance without too much worry...

Again, this all depends on how she acts when she comes out of hibernation to begin with...