Dogbones

Robby1870

My rubber bushings are beyond shot, so Im wondering if like Advance or Autozone stocks replacement rubber bushings? I want to go with poly-u ones, but dont have the cash for them now, and I'll just have to settle for new rubber ones. TIA

Robby

what exactly determines, "shot"?

should they be able to move at all?

Would a solid piece of steel in there be a bad idea? I guess that would transfer all the vibration of the engine into the car.

i believe we had this convo last night :P

http://home.att.net/~aldridgec/TGP/Engine/motor_mount.htm

and

http://www.cyberauto.com/index.php/PontiacFiero.txt

Energy Suspension Bushings:

84-88

4Cyl. Engine Torque Strut Bushing Set, 3-7103, $17.35

$17.35 x 2 = $34.70 :D

Yeah we did, I just dont have the money for those now, I've got some things to order, (Brian I believe you know what those are), so I just want some new rubber ones for the time being

Robby

dont even try it. i work at pep boys(autozones rival) i know for a fact that you cant get the bushing seperately. you have to buy a full dogbone(i had to do this when i changed mine, before i sold it) both stores only have the full assembly, and they're worse than stock for a price more than the poly bushings

Guest TurboSedan

ok i have some questions....

1. so if i get dogbones from Checker/Advance/Napa etc. they only sell the complete dogbone and not just the rubber bushings? and do they sell the 3-point dogbones that manual tranny cars got? i'm assuming they only sell 2-point bones like the automatic equipt cars came with....

2. i have a set of two 3-point dogbones, and i want to get them re-bushed with the Energy Suspension poly bushings. then i am going to install the 3-point dogbones on each side since they are the same length anyway. i was kind confused about how many bushing come in an Energy Suspension set on Chris's website tho :?: i am going to need 6 new bushings....

FFP i think has billet billet motor mounts too and i still need to look into those.

my $.02

thanks -

joshua

1. so if i get dogbones from Checker/Advance/Napa etc. they only sell the complete dogbone and not just the rubber bushings? and do they sell the 3-point dogbones that manual tranny cars got? i'm assuming they only sell 2-point bones like the automatic equipt cars came with....

* They sell the entire dogbone, bushing and all...

* and since it was an OEM part, I've seen the catalog & would assume that they would have the 3-pointers...

- Erik

Guest TurboSedan

cool. i am going to call the GM dealship too and maybe they have some higher durometer (sp?) rubber that would be better than stock but not vibrate the car so much as the Energy Suspension bushings might. but then again, a modified turbo 3.1/5-speed will probably need all the help it can get 8)

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

hmmm - i just checked out FFP's website and they only offer 2 point billet dogbones. what do guys think would hold up better - stock 3 point aluminum bones on both sides with Energy Suspension bushings (up to $75) or drop $130 on the billet aluminum 2 pointers w/poly bushings? FWIW, i replaced the lower motor mount and tranny mount with new GM mounts last year when i did the 5-speed swap.

sorry to hijack your thread Robby, i'm just looking for good info on the best dogbones for the price like you i guess...

joshua

Ya know for about 6 bucks you can make your own. :D Saber saw or router and a drill. Made these over 2 years ago and they hold up fine. Didn't notice any extra vibration. The front bushings are stock. They don't seem to go out. I can think of alot of other things to spend 120.00 on. :wink: Size is 3/8 to 1/2 thick hardwood, alum, steel 1 7/8 od x bolt size id.

http://photo.starblvd.net/~sleeperred90tgp/1-2-5.jpg?i=1048031531

Jud

I assume your 5 speed has a regular 2-hole dog bone and then a 3-hole dog bone on the driver’s side of the engine. For the standard mount and the 3-hole mount you are looking at $150 shipped. You can take $10 off if you buy the pulley and mounts at the same time since I only have to ship one box. I should have the mounts ready to ship next week (I have the 4-holer, but am out of the standard mounts). Let me know if you are interested.

Michael

FFP

This is the reply when I asked Michael at FFP about the 3 hole, and buying a UD pulley at the same time. So now you know.

Well, today at work, I was surprised with my (small) share of my departments quarter bonus. I got $50. So, Im going to order the Energy Suspension poly-u ones today. Im happy

Robby

Guest TurboSedan

cool beans. i myself am probably just going to use my 3-point bones on both sides of the engine with the Energy Suspension bushings.

god910 - thanks for the info - i might go that route later if i'm making enough torque to actually break my aluminum stock bones. i know it's been done before... :P

joshua

Yeah, my TGP did just that when the PO was racing a Vette. He also stated that he wasn't able to find ANY (at all) 3 hole 'bones that were re-manufactured, he had to go to GM to get it. (He also lives in a small town, but works at AutoZone)