LED Taillights

dohc v6

I was wanting to do some LED tails on my lumina. I know how to solder, so basically I just need to know what other parts to include on the board with the led's. I want to put as man as I can, like 50 on each section. Can anyone help me with this?

YES. call me.

Only 50? I'd say 5 times that per side! hell, the led bars on suburbans/jimmys/astros/safari's had either 32 or 40 LEDs each.

maybe an array... 3 windows each, 7x5 for the corner, 10x5 for the middle, 10x5 for the inner?

The new Escalade tail lamps had roughly 30 per lamp. But, they were quality LED's, not ebay special's.

IMO, if your going to do it, PLEASE do it right.

WERD.

Why when LED's flash they look completely different than filament bulbs? Is it because when they are illuminated they are at their maximum output, as opposed to a filament that has to heat up and then stop.

Why when LED's flash they look completely different than filament bulbs? Is it because when they are illuminated they are at their maximum output, as opposed to a filament that has to heat up and then stop.

Basically. In my 'ol auto book, its because a incandescent (sp?) bulb takes somewhere around 250ms to illuminate, whereas a LED takes about 50ms.

Heh, I've been wanting to do this probably for over a decade, but other projects took priority.

Yeah, I'd use more bulbs. At one point, I bought a box of LumiLEDs Super Flux LEDs, I forget how many, something like a box of 1200. Check eBay. ;)

Anybody ever buy the LED bulbs to replace their tail lights? Not make their own LEDs but the grous you can buy that go right in place of the regular bulb? I just wondered if anyone has and what they looked like...ive been thinkin about doin that myself.

I have them in all my cars but the only pics I have right now are all blurry. they are a little brighter than incandescent which are slightly more orange than the red led's. I've had good luck with them.

Anybody ever buy the LED bulbs to replace their tail lights? Not make their own LEDs but the grous you can buy that go right in place of the regular bulb? I just wondered if anyone has and what they looked like...ive been thinkin about doin that myself.

All the ones I've seen SUCK. Just bright little dots of light about an inch and a half in diameter. Worthless in the daytime and looks dumb in the night.

Sylvania has some really expensive ones called the Joule that are designed for reflector style housings. They're MUCH brighter than the aftermarket crap and are used in some Ford and Mercury cars and SUVs. Only problem is the housing has to be designed for it. I read that it's not compliant at all in some housings and only barely minimally compliant in others, so not really fit for a retrofit. It's still going to be a million times better than an aftermarket LED bulb though.

Xtremerevolution has them I believe.

Xtremerevolution has them I believe.

Yep and he niteshaded his tails to.