HELP! Stranded! Either ignition switch or starter went out

BuickMan

The battery is strong but when I turn key to start position nothing happens. Can I run a jumper cable from the battery and touch the solenoid terminal to see if it starts? I remember doing this with other cars. Where is the solenoid anyway? is it underneath near the starter? I just need to get it started one more time to get it to the mechanic. Any tips or help would be appreciated!

I used to drive an 89 Chevy pickup that had some starter trouble.. What worked for me sometimes, was just turning the key from run to start a bunch of times real fast, and usually the starter would take off one of those times...

I got the car started. I had to play around with the ignition though. But it started like usual, I didn't hear any weird noises from the starter. I'm think the ignition switch is bad but I got it replaced brand new 2 years ago. I thought it would last longer than that. Can I buy something to spray in there to clean it out? Could it be the VATS that has gone bad? I get the same car starting problem with the spare key. I also thought maybe the ground wire from the battery terminal to the body might be bad but it looked OK