Cruise Control Quirk

oldscsc

Got a quick question for ya'll. I use my cruise quite a bit, even sometimes in the city. The cruise works fine, and I cancel it by tapping the brake. I noticed when I got the car and never asked...when I tap the brake, it revs up. It probably jumps ~ 500 RPM when it does it. I'll try to get a video today. I can barely, barely (not even enough to activate the brake lights I don't think) tap the brake and it will rev up and stay there. It doesn't accelerate, just revs up. I would think it's coming out of overdrive but it does the same thing in town. Ideas?

If you are accelerating, and tap the brake to release the cruise, your torque converter may/will unlock, causing the engine to rev but the car not to speed up...You can try this without the cruise...just maintain a steady speed over 50 (lock up is usually 42-45mph, but we are talking about GM)...keep your foot on the gas, tap the brakes with your left foot (enough to turn the lights on, not enough to brake the car)....you should see the tach rise as the converter unlocks...

42 MPH...it will do it at lower speeds than that, but I'll try that on the way home if I remember. Why wouldn't this happen in any other vehicle I've driven? The truck, the Suburban, nothing I've driven has done this, just wondering...