simple quick mods?

daswulfkralle

don't quite know if this is the correct place to post buuttt -

my 96 gutlass Supreme SL is bone stock.

I'm looking for a few simple mods to start off. basically, where and what would be the best to do for starting out.

i have quite a selection of tools at my disposal, and am very mechanically inclined.

thoughts thusfar are: new brakes (pads n rotors), CAI, and i need new rear struts in the near future. any other simple

cost effective means of getting a bit more power, and a bit better handling?

Well its cost effective, but not really on the "performance" per say. What about doing a speedometer swap? I didn't know if you had a tachometer or not. I mean that is what i did to my '98 lumina. I swear I love looking at a tach, thank god i got rid of just a temp, gas, and speed speedometer. :lol:

There wasn't a stock option for rally gauges that I'm aware of on the Cutlass. '95 on just have temp., fuel, and speedometer. A GP dash swap would solve this, but that's not classified as "quick" or "simple".

There wasn't a stock option for rally gauges that I'm aware of on the Cutlass. '95 on just have temp., fuel, and speedometer. A GP dash swap would solve this, but that's not classified as "quick" or "simple".

Actually my 95 has a tach, speedo, fuel, and engine temp.

What are you hoping to get out of it in terms of handling? there is a few different options you can take. Coil Overs, aftermarket lowering spring and leaf springs, beefier sway bar, STBs, even just tires make a huge difference. You are probably running a 225 tire, go up to a 245 or even 255 if you can fit them and you will notice huge gains. Of course I am only speaking from my own experience with my car, which has anything but stock suspension (the only stock parts left in my suspension are the front control arms)

Jamie

Uhm, I want better road feel and go around corners faster? lol. actually, since I now live at school, the majority of my driving is the 400 mile drive to and from school, during breaks and weekends and such. so, I'm looking for a stable, highway monster. right now, I've got too much bounce, but like i said, my rear struts are shot. is it as simple as buying just a new set of Monroe shocks from pep boys or something and throwing them in? Also- tyres - i ride on 215/65/15, I just got them replaced too - Definity HX700's

From what I've heard, the Monroe shocks are more "comfortable" than they are "performance". Look into KYB GR-2s for performance.

Front and rear strut tower braces (STBs) are a nice "cheap" way to improve handling and response. There are several threads here about them.

Actually my 95 has a tach, speedo, fuel, and engine temp.

To be considered "full instrumentation" you need tach, speedo, fuel, temp., voltage, and oil pressure.

If your looking to get rid of the bounce and still have comfort, I'm gonna suggest anything but coil overs. In a coil over system if you go with a lighter spring, your going to get that bounce. If you go with a harder spring, like I did, you don't get much ricer bounce, but its a very hard and bumpy ride.

I would recommend going to KYB GR2 struts, and maybe adding front and rear STBs... if you want a little more support in the corners a 7/8" rear sway bar is available and going to a 245 tire will add a hair more track width.

Jamie

hey.

having tried both KYB and Monroe sensatracks... both felt fine to me. I currently recommend the KYBs.

start there, replace the upper stut mounts at the same time.... and NEXT... upgrade your swaybars!