1994 Olds Cutlass Hurst

Dannymik

I seen a pic of a white 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convert. Hurst on the net this winter and forgot where I seen it. Would it be on this website or any other W body sites? It had the hood scoops on it...looked sweet!!!!

w-body.jpg

they all shift... at diff points, of course... but they all do. the rightmost one engages 1st gear, middle 2nd gear, and the leftmost does the rest. its kinda how the normal tranny goes PRN(D)321. only the leftmost goes to 3/d, then theres 2 and 1 must be a pain to drive, but nice show car

but why would you design it like that? Purely for looks, or is there some kind of functionality to it?

It's so the drive has full control on when the car shifts...

It's not a manual, but refered as a slap-stick (correct?).

No computer assist + no RPM limiter = acceptable risk of wrapping the motor to 7000+.

- Erik

Lightning shifter explanation for the curious minds.

The one on the far left is the regular PRND3 shifter. When that shifter is moved all the way down, the car will only go up to 3rd gear automatically. When the middle shifter is down, it will only go up to 2nd gear automatically. When the far right shifter is moved down, it will stay in first gear until it moved up into second gear, the middle one into 3rd gear, and the left one into overdrive.

they were on the older H/O too back in the day.

And yes, RedFox, you are correct, its someteimes called a slapstick design. Also, its kinda drag racing history...like where you could just "slap" them back to change gears.

jon

Woah :o , can you still buy shifters similar to those, or shall I go ebay hunting? - I just found a must have for my auto GP.

good luck finding one. seriously, youll need a lot. may as well just find a DIC or something equivalent instead