I took my engine apart. (15 pictures of what I found)

MommyTaz022200

Ok, they worked. Anyway, I'll be rebuilding. My guess that the previous owner(s) didn't maintain the car very well seems to be supported. Long chunks of a serpentine belt were wrapped around the half shaft and altinator pulley also. It just seems that had the car been well cared for the old belt chunks would have been removed. Also, as you can see, the timing belt is almost worn straight through, along with the plastic tensioners. The antifreeze and it's are very coroded and chuncky as well.

I guess the bright side of it all is from the looks of all the carbon, the car probably wasn't raced so with a filter and fluid flush the tranny should last...

I HOPE!

So, anyone who has done a 3.4L rebuild... any advice to offer? My budget is about $2200. I do need new tires, power stearing pump, and struts too.

My plan so far is to bring the block and heads to a machine shop. They will acid wash and inspect them and everything inside. They will also do any boring, honing, shaving, grinding, and turning. They will tell me which "guts" can be reused and which I need new. I will buy the parts that need to be new and bring them to the shop, and they will put them in and set the timing. I will then get the heads and block back. I plan to buy new halfshafts and front struts since the shafts are already out and replacing the struts seems like it would be easier to do without the weight of the engine and tranny. I also plan to change the tranny filter and fluid. I know I need a million gaskets to get it running again. I want to replace as many parts as I can out of my budget. If I can't afford some of them I want to reuse parts that don't require removing much of the engine to replce later on. I also want to replace the heater core and coolant hoses, since the chuncky shit will be removed from the engine.

I have no idea what the name of the part is on the very top picture, but I'd like to replace that as well. (Anyone know what it's called?)

Hmm... the pictures are showing on my computer when I look at the message. I have them saved in my online MSN personal folder. Then I copied and pasted each address on the web browser when I click on the picture.

Did I do it wrong?

This is what I get if I display the picture link on another browser.

You are not authorized to view this page

It might be that you have allow the pictures to be public and allow the public to view it or something like that.

the last pic looks like calcium(sp) depocits on an injector, i don't know why ther are there?????? you should see if you can get a gasket kit(which includes all the main gaskets you are looking for) instead of buying them eash seperatly...

other than gaskets you should be able to use all of your old stuff(ie heads, lower and upper intake).

the one thing that is a necessity is getting NEW belts, or at least new cam belts. i don't have a 3.4 dohc, but i have done alot of work in the acura 2.8 dohc.

hopefully this will help...