Shifter Problem

tdvs

Having trouble getting shifter out of park. Release button on shift handle jams and can't push it in. Sometimes worse than others, sometimes works normal. This morning the worst ever. Thought I wasn't going to get button to push in. The rest of the day, no problem????

Tom

That lock is actuated through a cable that goes along the fire wall and onto the steering column. I would follow that cable and try to find any kinks or jams.

It might be buggered on the column... or something in the console could be screwed

Jamie

No, the problem is quite simple. I had the same damn problem and eventually I couldnt get my car outta park..

You need to replace the shifter knob.. Go get one from a JY.. The knob will actually break inside and wont work right

Got your foot on the brake consistently?

You shouldn't even need your foot on the brake if it's a floor shift. At least in mine you don't.

Then your is broken. Your foot has to be on the break to move it out of park, to move it passed the D position and to move it from N to R.

No, the problem is quite simple. I had the same damn problem and eventually I couldnt get my car outta park..

You need to replace the shifter knob.. Go get one from a JY.. The knob will actually break inside and wont work right

I suppose that would be the logical (and easiest) place to start, lol

Jamie

Just keep in mind that it is NOT supposed to be like that, and that it is broken.

And that it won't be getting fixed...ever :mrgreen: What is the cause anyways?...sorry tdvs, I jacked your thread. :frown:

I just happen to have an extra shift handle from the j/y. I'll try swapping it in the morning.

Thanks, Tom

My friend's 1996 Supreme was the same, until I replaced the shifter knob.

I know that 1995+ have the "apply brake before shifting from park."

Just keep in mind that it is NOT supposed to be like that, and that it is broken.

And that it won't be getting fixed...ever :mrgreen: What is the cause anyways?...sorry tdvs, I jacked your thread. :frown:

No problemo :biggrin: Got the answer B4 you jacked it.

Tom

I have seen so many shifters wear out, the staple falls out (lol) or just breaks Then it is difficult to get it out of park. And i love my 94 cutlass because unlike the lumina i just jump in and go without having to apply the brake. Usually my car starter is still activated for a block or so until i actually hit the brake to stop lol

guys.... the apply brake to shift from park selonoid is what can keep a car from shifting from park, even witht he brake pressed.

Buck. your 95 ciera had it built into the shift cable. I had to disable it in my 95 ciera, cause it would bind and fail to release.

95+ W cars have it.

94- W cars do not

if you are having trouble with it, disconnect the wiring connected to it. Period. it is on the column of column shift car, and at the shifter in the console in console shift models. it is black and cylindrical, and you can locate it when in park by pressing the pedal to make it click.

guys.... the apply brake to shift from park selonoid is what can keep a car from shifting from park, even witht he brake pressed.

Buck. your 95 ciera had it built into the shift cable. I had to disable it in my 95 ciera, cause it would bind and fail to release.

95+ W cars have it.

94- W cars do not

if you are having trouble with it, disconnect the wiring connected to it. Period. it is on the column of column shift car, and at the shifter in the console in console shift models. it is black and cylindrical, and you can locate it when in park by pressing the pedal to make it click.

I'm pretty sure it's the solenoid on mine. Swapped shift handles, but button still jammed slightly once or twice. Since it was a j/y handle, thought it could be bad to, so tryed with no handle. Jammed that way a bit also. Figured it was a solenoid problem at the brake pedal or base of the shifter. I'll try unplugging the one at the shifter today and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks all, Tom