emergency brake cable

mdelorie

d'oh, nm.... my brain likes doing things the hard way... just look on the back of the pedal, shouldn't be that bad, and all you should need to do is adjust the brakes to give your cable a bit more slack, if you can't, then you have to either replace the entire cable, or cut it somewhere in the middle, add like a 6 inch splice or something like that, and pull the front have far enough out so it can be re-clamped into the pedal.... I'll have to take a look at my car to see how it's rigged from factory, but you should just be able to undo a couple bolts and pull the broken piece out, and put the other one in

If you have an auto tranny, who cares?? I never use my E-brake. If you have a 5spd, its a whole different story. But like Bolt_Crank said, its not that hard

Robby

very important! especially with W-body rear brakes. I use it every time I park, and have yet to have a caliper seize on me. :wink:

I got the first part out... now I just have to get replacement parts... probably from the dealer..

right before the cable splits (where the adjuster is), there's a (I think) factory splice, with two segments.. the pedal segment... and everything else.

upon closer inspection, the cable has broken out of the retainer (little cylinder of metal at the end of the cable)... this cannot be re-crimped, not that it matters, because I had to pull the cable out of the sheath to get to the fitting to get the fitting off the car! sheesh! We'll see what our friendly GM dealer has to say tomorrow.

Guest TurboSedan
If you have an auto tranny, who cares?? I never use my E-brake. If you have a 5spd, its a whole different story. But like Bolt_Crank said, its not that hard

Robby

i agree - a 5-speed and no e-brake sucks!!!! ecspecially when i'm delivering pizza all night. not safe! but anyways, a cable from a salvage yard shouldn't be too expensive and they aren't hard to take out. good luck -

joshua

very important! especially with W-body rear brakes. I use it every time I park, and have yet to have a caliper seize on me. :wink:

Sometimes on the 88-93 calipers, frequent park brake uses CAUSES them to seize.

I know all about that. :roll: