Is there an upgrade for an LQ1 Alternator?

CSI_MuNkY

I went to Canadian tire and they only have a listing for the stock 105 amp Alternator. Does anyone have a part number or name of a higher amp alt that will work on an LQ1?

Jamie

If you have a spare, I'd try to find someplace local to have it rebuilt. I had two rebuilt before I sold my Z34 (one that I used, and one for back up just incase), and he had even given me a lifetime warranty on both. Stock amperage, but better for the elements that the LQ1 alternator's receive.

I work for PartSource part time out here in Edmonton and the only option there is, is the 105Amp. I would suggest gettting a used alt and then having a Battery/Starter shop rebuild it for a higher output.

Are the LQ1 alternators different than the other 60° alternators?  If not, I'd recommend getting one from Iceberg.  They have the stock 105 amp, as well as a 140, and even a 170!  Plus, the cooling fins design on their casings is much better at keeping the alternators cool than the stock ones.  I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about an Iceberg alt failing. They're no more expensive than getting a "new" alternator from crappy parts stores like Auto Zone. They have prebuilt ones, or they can send you rebuild kits for cheaper so you can rebuild it yourself.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130_&_cs130d_alt.htm

I put the alternator from my 88 regal in my cutlass without any real issues. Just had rotate the casing so that the mounting points lined up.

No shit??? I could have sworn the mounting points were different. Did they all line up, or just a few?

I put the alternator from my 88 regal in my cutlass without any real issues. Just had rotate the casing so that the mounting points lined up.

No shit??? I could have sworn the mounting points were different. Did they all line up, or just a few?

The alternators themselves were identical. I had to unbolt the 2 halves, and rotate the front piece so that the mounting points lined up correctly. I forget which way I had to rotate it,but if you compare a 2.8/3.1 alternator to one from an LQ1, you will see what I mean. The alternator is technically the same, just the angles at which the 2 halves of the case are joined is different. And Yes, all the mounting points were the same.

I remember fighting like a bitch trying to get the 2.8 alt to fit on my 3.4 to no avail, then when i got fed up and put it next to the one i had pulled out i saw that it was basically a mirror image of the 2.8 alt. So thats when i rotated the front half of the case and it slipped in like a glove.

I don't know if they changed alternator styles in some of the later 3.4's, (around the time when the 3100 came out) but i'd assume that if they did, it would still be the same idea.

Actually, now that I think about it, the alternator in my Silverado looks to be almost identical to one from a 2.8/3.1., but, with i'm assuming higher output.

you gotta find out which 2 wires you need and just crimp in the new style plug.

no big deal.

the mount is a little wider on the cs130d so you have to machine down the bracket a little.