94 cutlass rear defroster

rockfangd

Ok it is getting to be that time of the year again and i have a new problem stemming from an old problem. My rear defroster used to work, just messed up but now it doesnt work at all.

Before when i turned it on it would work but not shut off and the timer would make a really funny noise behind the dash.

So this year i replaced 3 units under the dash, The chime module, a black box to the right of the panel, and one other one, and now it doesnt work at all :evil:

The light doesnt even light up anymore.

Can anyone give me some insight on this. I have checked the grid and have found no problems. Thanks all

George

Posted below is a picture of the 3 modules that i have changed out, with used units lol

URGENT! discard the item on the far left. that is the homicidal "suicide if your door opens in a crash" module. it WILL release the the seatbelts if a door pops open, or even if a door handle moves in a collision. it powers the seatbelt release. your car will work fine without it. I have removed this device on all my sedans, and in the coupes... it also powers the key light ring, so in coupes (and verts) unplug ONLY the seatbelt selonoids.

as for the module on the right, that is the chime and auto lock unlock module. Modify it by SNIPPING the black wire on the 6 slot connector... and you will appreciate the difference I refuse to disclose that I leave for you to figure out. :mrgreen:

the middle i think in the defrost timer. try the first one, or another one.... But, have you checked the fuses? I can find out later which module is correct.

well the module on the left is well explained, thank you. I had no idea.

And for the wire on the chime module i do not mind te locks lol.

and as for the middle i would ave never guessed. I thought the one on the left may have been the timer.

I do not know where the fuse is located for the derfoster but it does not help that i dont have a diagram for that panel. I didnt even know it was there until i heardthe buzzing noise last year lol

as for the module on the right, that is the chime and auto lock unlock module. Modify it by SNIPPING the black wire on the 6 slot connector... and you will appreciate the difference I refuse to disclose that I leave for you to figure out. :mrgreen:

Is that the mod that makes the doors lock when you hit like... 7 mph?

I cannot confirm or deny.....................

9 MPH.

ok so hre is some good and bad news, last night on my way home from work i tried the button numerous times and out of 10 imes of trying it it worked 4 times and did not work 6 times lol. completly random. I tried bumps, tappig the dash, cycling the ignition,. nothing made a difference.

I also might add that when it works it works fntastic but it just doesnt want to shut itself off, it just makes a weird noise towards the passenger side of the dash and when you push the button it stops making the noise but the defroster doesnt work again :willynilly:

• 2 weeks later...