Single bi-directional key conversion

GnatGoSplat

One thing I've wanted to do for years, but never got around to really researching it, is converting my first-gen W-body to use a single bi-directional key. Ford and imports have been doing this at least since the mid-80's, but GM only since the mid-90's I think.

Has anyone given this any thought, or better yet, done it?

I'd just prefer to have to carry as few things in my pocket as possible, and I have to carry that trunk/door key even with keyless entry because sometimes my locks freeze up in the winter or the trunk won't open because the neutral start switch is temperature sensitive.

Shawn, I had researched this, but wrecked the experiment before I could complete it. I had decided it MAY be possible to modify the the stock steering column because of the fact early first gens didn't have the, and I know they AREN'T called chips, chip on the ignition key. Meaning you simply need to figure out what you need to do to swap in a bi directional key.

What I had done was purchased a complete lock set from a mid 90's N body. (It was from a Grand AM just because the parts were cheap.) I also snagged the steering column, and did some looking around at it. It SEEMED possible, but I never got to the fabrication phase of the experiment because, as I said, I wrecked the test bed.

One thing to think about is converting all the locks on your car to the the ones from the donor car, or simply buy new and head to GM to have them re-key all the cylinders to the single key.

I wish you luck on this and will watch any attempt you make very closely!