Guage cluster repair

AL

I read the how to on fixing the gauge cluster when the low fuel light and check gauges lights are on... There is an option to "email me" for someone to fix it for $20 but the email address isnt valid... Is there someone that will do this? I have no problem paying.

Yes for my 91 GP... I read the instructions... but I have never soldered before, nor do I have a soldering gun. The cluster is already out of the car and on the kitchen table.

Find a friend with one? If not buy one, you can get cheap ones, but I'd go for atleast a middle class one. You dont want to be burning anything. Maybe one of the forum memebers here live close to you and could lend you a hand?

Man, it's seriously easy, don't waste your money sending it to someone. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a $10 soldering iron and go to town.

Just get a fine-tipped iron. The broad-tipped irons are great for certain things, but for circuit boards call for the finest tipped iron you can find IMO.

Yeah, not a difficult repair, although I'd probably practice on something disposable if you've never soldered before.

That being said, I've got all the stuff to solder it up right if you want me to do it. Only catch is I have no way to test it to see if the repair worked. Lemme know if you want it done, and I'll get you the shipping info.

Yeah, not a difficult repair, although I'd probably practice on something disposable if you've never soldered before.

That being said, I've got all the stuff to solder it up right if you want me to do it. Only catch is I have no way to test it to see if the repair worked. Lemme know if you want it done, and I'll get you the shipping info.

I will let you know in a couple of days... I am going to check if the school has one I can use and stuff to practice on... If not Ill send it out to you and pay shipping both ways

• 3 weeks later...

That one is finer than mine, but I'm sure it would work fine. The solder joints are close together, so a smaller tip like the one you posted would probably work better.

my teacher took my cluster home and used his microscope and everything else from the electronics store he worked at... he had to resolder almost half the connections cause they were bad... thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

Ask him if he knows how to recalibrate the gauges too... I'm not sure about the 91-93 GPs, but TGP gauge clusters are notoriously inaccurate, not just on the speedometer, but on the tach and other gauges as well.

Glad to hear he got it sorted out for you. Solder seems to be something that GM just couldn't get right. I had issues with the power mirrors on my car when I got it, and when I pulled the switch apart, in addition to at least one bad joint, one joint had no solder on it at all! :eek:

Thank goodness the solder problem doesn't seem to extend to the ECM. :lol:

I will ask him... It might be off because other soldering points are bad... on the right hand side of the cluster (looking at the back), you see two rows of solders (like 20 in each row) parallel to each other. He said all those were bad also. That might effect it somehow.

Yes, the two rows of solders parallel to each other is what is mentioned in the repair section on w-body.com. Soldering those gets rid of the constant or flickering check gauges and low fuel lights. It doesn't change anything else.