LOL

EviLette

Mods don't move this, it's TOTALLY audio related.

So... I'm beginning to think that putting 2 12" subs in my trunk wasn't the best of ideas. Espescially a few days ago when I was driving home, my stereo turned up and hitting pretty damn hard, then I hit a bump. Tragedy struck. My rearveiw mirror took a nosedive off the windshield, smacked my HU (which has already been acting posessed) and shut it off, then landed on the floor.

When I picked up the mirror I realized that part of my windshield was still attached to it.

Anyone else had this happen? I'm going to assume the windshield will shatter out pretty bad this winter, but I'm hoping not. Would it be safe/efficient to re-glue the mirror back to the glass, and just remove the mirror itself when I'm using my stereo? I feel naked and alone without that rearview.

Oh yeah, let me reiterate. My HU is friggin posessed. It's shutting itself off randomly now, and sometimes doesn't want to come on. Or shuts off halfway flipping down to eject a CD. :bash: :cussing:

Sounds like a failing HU, although... does it do it once it's been playing for a while (hot), or even right in the morning after sitting all night (cold)?

Like John asked, what brand HU?

And yeah, get the windshield replaced.

Sounds like a failing HU, although... does it do it once it's been playing for a while (hot), or even right in the morning after sitting all night (cold)?

Like John asked, what brand HU?

And yeah, get the windshield replaced.

Both. I was thinking by the way its doing it that it might be wiring-related but I'm not 100% sure and I"m definitely not gonna get in there and mess with the wiring to that thing. I am not good with auto stereos in the least lol.

It's a Pioneer Premeir something or other... like a 300 dollar unit with a motorized flipdown face... but its not the face I dont think, I think it's wiring-related.

Damn, didn't want to replace the windshield. I'll have a bitch of a time getting another one of those banners made. LOL.

Where'd you get that banner anyways? I've always thought about having a custom one made...

There are a couple Arab guys at Towne West, with a kiosk that do it. They also do liscense plates, and have another booth with perfume, and another booth selling phone stuff. LOL. I think they are pretty near Hot Topic, but definitely close to Explicit Body Jewelry's Kiosk. It cost me about 40 bucks to make mine. They have a computer there, so pick the image you want if you don't have it on a photobucket or something like that already, and save it. They can make it from anything, as long as they have a picture to start with. I think it set me back about 40 bucks to have mine made, would've been cheaper if I'd stuck to one color lol

Where'd you get that banner anyways? I've always thought about having a custom one made...

There are a couple Arab guys at Towne West, with a kiosk that do it. They also do liscense plates, and have another booth with perfume, and another booth selling phone stuff. LOL. I think they are pretty near Hot Topic, but definitely close to Explicit Body Jewelry's Kiosk. It cost me about 40 bucks to make mine. They have a computer there, so pick the image you want if you don't have it on a photobucket or something like that already, and save it. They can make it from anything, as long as they have a picture to start with. I think it set me back about 40 bucks to have mine made, would've been cheaper if I'd stuck to one color lol

Didn't know they did that...what do you mean picture, you can't just tell them what font you want and what you want it to say?

Take the HU out and re-wire the harness.. that's pretty much all you can do. If the HU's fucked, it's fucked. Premiers are pretty nice though. I love Pioneer.

See if it's still under warranty.

i love pioneer also but probably like everything else today the quality is probably not as good anymore.

Im sorry but thats kind of funny, the bass thumps so much that the windshield broke , ouch.

Mods please move this, its not audio related!!

Lies, it's 100% audio related.

The stereo hits so hard that it causes the mirror to vibrate around a lot. :P

Thus - windshield was broken by an excessively loud stereo over a long period of time. :) It's informational.

I had a shop install the Stereo, because knowing me, I'd electrocute myself hooking it up with all power wires unhooked.

What was the warranty at the shop on the radio and install? If its still under warranty take it back there and have them check the wiring. If you want to take a quick look yourself slide the radio out and check the connections on the yellow (constant power) red (switched power) and black (ground) wires. The rest are speakers.

Ive heard of rearview mirrors taking a chunk of glass with them when they fall off....never seen it though! Ive had plenty of rear view mirrors fall off do to bass (and just shitty old glue). I think the one on the TGP fell off 4 or 5 times before i finally got it to stick good. It slammed into my hand the one time...that shit hurt!

Mods please move this, its not audio related!!

Lies, it's 100% audio related.

Thus - windshield was broken by an excessively loud stereo over a long period of time. :) It's informational.

I had a shop install the Stereo, because knowing me, I'd electrocute myself hooking it up with all power wires unhooked.

Do you honestly think you could electrocute yourself? :lol: does your car have a 115 v system?

...I wonder what ryan would say about this. :willynilly: its going to blow up like a grenade!!! :mrgreen:

more likely your mirror fell off when you hit the bump .if you don't want to replace the windshield try to glue the mirror the best you can to keep it from falling off again. you might just get lucky and the windshield wont crack and if it does you had to replace it anyway. about your HU i agree with everyone it might be a lose wire i had that happen before and does exactly the way you describe it.

what amp and woofers you use?

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a grounding issue as far as the radio cutting out.

Anyway, it is impossible to break glass with low frequency, it has to do with how sound works, the resonant frequency of glass is well above the limits of human hearing. To break glass with bass you already have to have the glass weakened of stressed, or compromised in some way, then the mounting also has to be weak enough to flex fromt he vibration of the bass (resonant frequency within the subs frequency response), only then will the glass break. Even 180dB competition vehicles don't break the glass with bass, the panels flex enough to tweak it and cause a stress crack, or the car has been sealed and a leak causes de-compression and pops the glass out, The only reason they use thick plexi is as not to lose dB's letting it penetrate outside from the glass.