88-93 GP DIC MOUNTING and Wiring INFOR

Gearhead43

Well guys, I made another interesting GP discovery yesterday while at the BoneYard.

I have discovered that the DIC wiring harness is ALSO part of the 88-90 SE and 91-93 GTP Seat controls with the 2+2 arrangement.

This does require alot of work. As you need to take out the seats, the center console, pull apart the C200 firewall connector and pull back the carpet of the donor car to pull the entire harness out.

You can pull the entire harness all the way from the C200 Firewall connector and install it into your GP!!!.. Meaning there is no wire splicing/cutting that needs to be done!!! That firewall connector called C200 is on the passenger side firewall, accessable from the interior. It's right under from where the glove box is. and has a single torx head screw holding it to the female side of the connector. The male end will pull away from the female end once the trox screw is loosened. Swing it out of the way, you then need to take the female end loose from the firewall by removing the two 7mm screws holding it in place. The connector end for the DIC harness goes in the FAR RIGHT SLOT and has to go in from BEHIND the female end. You'll turn the DIC end connector 90 degrees, insert it into the slot, pull it thru, then turn it back 90 degrees and push it into the slot untill it clicks into place. ( I'll need to get some pictures to help others see what is going on here...) But in my opinon, it sure beats having to cut, spilce and tape up a bunch of wires!!!

Once you have the harness connected to the C200 connector and laid in to the floorboard, and all the plugs routed to the correct locations, the DIC will be plug N' play!

Also, while removing this harness, I realized that the DIC pigtail and harness is routed in a different way than I thought... I would no longer look for an 88-93 DIC connector between the front of the console and the firewall.. Instead, I would look for it under the carpet of the center console area and BACK to the black plastic wiring tray that runs under the carpet just behind the front seats.

Look on my new site for the DIC information.

http://pages.prodigy.net/gearhead43/DavesGP/

Go to "HOW TO MOD" , then click on DIC. I have the latest info. including a diagram on the harness and the part numbers. The P/N's I list on my site are from the GM 1988-1992 W-body Parts and Illustration Catalog.

The P/N could be obsolete and you may need to use a picture diagram of the part in question at a GM dealer to be able to cross ref. the new P/N with the old P/N. I am going to check my connections about all these P/N that go with the DIC, Seats and all and see if first, the items have not been discontinued by GM and if not, what the new P/N's are. Or you could just order the connectors from GM. and use them to rebuild your own harness.

Later, I am going to revise this section for just DIC install and add another section for the 12-way 2+2 bucket sport seats install. As I realize not everybody wants to do both mods.

There is a guy on ClubGP who is swapping his seats to a 2+2 and adding a DIC to his 92 GP. Go here:

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=904744&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1