High Output Alternator Fuse

SmoothSteve3

Ok, heres a question for all you guys who know something about the electrical systems in the early (1990) Chevy Luminas:

I've always noticed quite a power drain at night with all my lights on and such........in fact, I even notice a power drain with just the a/c or rear defroster on! The turn signals are slower, and you can just hear the engine straining a little more than usual. My friend has an import with EVERYTHING you could ever imagine on it. Neons, sound system, fog lamps......everything. And yet, he gets very little strain on his system with everything running. We worked on cars tonite, and found that he has a 100 amp alternator fuse.....which makes sense considering that the alternator puts out between 100 and 105 amps peak. Ok.....here come the questions.....on a 3.1 Liter 1990 Chevy Lumina (base model) what and where is the fuse for the alternator? Secondly, does anyone know of a place where I could possibly get a higher amperage fuse? (I think the stock might be a 60 amp....but i'm probably wrong) Do you guys think this is a bad idea? Give me your opinions.......

Thanks everyone!

SmoothSteve3

1990 Chevy Lumina

3.1 Liter V-6

Ride on White Lightning

Well, a fuse is a safety item so that an electrical system does not start an electrical fire due to ground out / short.

So, a larger fuse will not going to fix a dimming condition or loss output of electrical power.

You'll actually want a higher amperage alternator for more power output to the car.

Also, you may want to tie in a electrical capacitor to hold the charge so that voltage drops do not occur as hard or even at all.

But, before ripping about your car, check the electrical load on your battery and alt. Make sure you're putting out enough.

- Erik