Quick HUD question.

jeremy

Sometimes when I get in the GTP and turn it on the HUD is off. All I have to do it push one of the adjustment buttons and it turns on. It doesn't happen all the time and otherwise works perfectly. Any idea what, if anything, can be done to fix it.

Do you have any issues with it getting brighter or dimmer on its own while it's on?  I know the Gen 6 GP HUDs have an issue with some solder joints (what a surprise).  Here's the fix for it:

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3367&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=&language=&tmode=&smode=&s=&cookieCheck=173440607#3367

FAIL!!!!

you would need to remove the HUD from the vehicle, open it up, and locate the photo-sensor, and reheat the solder joints.

Do you have any issues with it getting brighter or dimmer on its own while it's on? I know the Gen 6 GP HUDs have an issue with some solder joints (what a surprise). Here's the fix for it:

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3367&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=&language=&tmode=&smode=&s=&cookieCheck=173440607#3367

FAIL!!!!

you would need to remove the HUD from the vehicle, open it up, and locate the photo-sensor, and reheat the solder joints.

I can't help that ClubGP has a messed up way of saving cookies. I have it bookmarked, and it works when I load it from there. Not sure why the link isn't working when I copy/paste it here, but the thread gives detailed instructions on what to do. We'll try one other thing, here:

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3367

If that still doesn't work, it's message/thread #3367. I'll copy paste the basic instructions here:

How to fix the HUD dimming problem.

1. Remove HUD from car.

2. Remove 4 Torix screws from top of HUD

3. Remove ribbon cable and small 2-wire cable from circuit board.

4. Remove circuit board.

5. On the board there is a small photocell, the problem is that the cell has a cold solder joint. The cell is a 1/3-inch

Circle with a black square in the center. All you need to do is resolder the two legs.

6. Put everything back.

I was unable to find a replacement cell at radio shack. Monday I will look at a Digikey catalog and try to find the part.

The cell produces a small amount of voltage. The more light the more voltage. 0-.75 volts. Mt cell was working fine but the joint was loose. When the board heated up it lost the joint increased resistance to the point that the HUD lost the voltage reference.

So far this has worked for 4 hours. Before the fix it would dim out in 10 minutes. I need others to try this and report back.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg