Question about a DIC and UB3 digi in Lumina

kevinz

I installed a GP STE DIC in my 93 Lumina today. All seems to work ok, except for a couple things.

A. The compass needs calibrated, but I got the procedures from this site I'll try tomorrow

B. Sometimes, the DIC says "SYSTEM FAIL", what does that mean?

Now onto my next mod, a cutlass UB3 digi dash into the car. I found 4 (!) of them at a yard this weekend and grabbed one. I understand that some on here have done it by using the case of a Lumina guage cluster and swapping the digital dash insides in the casing. I have found a pic or two of baddflash's job, but I'd like more detail on how to do it and what it looks like up-close on and not. And what had to be done with the lens and the cuttons on the dash for english/metric, reset and trip.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

That's what I was afraid of. I'm pretty sure it's wired right, I calibrated the compass and it doesn't do it nearly as much anymore.

The strange thing is, evry time I start the car, it will do it just once; I press one of the buttons and it keeps on working with no errors any more.

You need to get creative with the placement of the cluster's buttons. Baddflash has his in the dash I believe. But you can do what I did:

OHC_Bondo.jpg

Complete_OHC3.jpg

I modified an overhead console for this project. Still have it floatin around somewhere.

The point is there is no right or wrong way to mount the buttons. If you can extend some 20g wire, you can then place these buttons anywhere you want.

that looks great! I did some thinking, and I think what I'm gonna do is mount the buttons below the heater vent that is just to the right of the steering column. And I need a Lumina cluster so I can use the case to put the UB3 guts in. It doesn't appear the guy making cluster to cluster adaptors is doing it anymore, so I'll probably make my own one of those, as well. Also, I'll probably just tint the Lumina cluster lens similar to the one the UB3 has, and leave out the blue cover that's under the tinted lens so the cluster hopefully lights up in the white like color that Chevy uses for everything. If not, I may just end up swapping over every light in the car for a red one and go Pontiac lol

The UB3's VFD will light up green like the lighting in Delco stereos and HUD units. The blue tint gives the UB3 Oldsmobile's cool blue color. I would keep the blue and tint the Lumina's cluster glass a dark black/gray color.

Or go red a la Pontiac.

I have something else in store for mine.