gas gauge

per0781

when my gas gauge reads below half a tank, it seems to decrease faster then when its above half a tank. My driving habits dont change. When my gas gauge reads under 1/4 tank, i'll put 10 bucks (around 6 gallons) of gas in, and when I start the car the gas gauge will be just shy of 3/4 of a tank. Any suggestion on whats going on? Thanx

it is totally normal. my 91 LE did it and my 89se did it. wbodies arent the only ones too. my friends TA does it....and my car hangs on F for a while, but once it breaks loose it goes down evenly

Yeah every single GM gas gauge that I have ever seen is not linear. It sticks then falls a signifigant amount. I love the one in the Bonneville too that falls down an 1/8 of a tank when you get into warning area to scare you into getting gas.

just be thankful ur car didnt do wut my did to me today

frst of we finished puttin on the 20" spinners n dropped the car n i wanted to sho them off(to bad the rest of my car looks like shit) i went to the gas station to fill my tank so i can drive around all night wit my gurl showin off the rims n as im at the 20 dolla mark (i was on e) someone pulls up behind me n says ur leakin really bad buddie finally at 22 n some change the pump starts(my tank must be full) i go look under my car n there is like a fuckin watterfall of gas comin from the top of my tank??? i pull away (paid with my debt card) n pull inot my drive way n look n im no longer leakin gas n my meter says full. i was able to drive around all night like i wanted n whe i stopped to eat at my house at like 11 my car wuz sittin for an hour but when i shut my car off it read 3/4 of a tank i get out side startr the car n it reads 1/2 of a tank get down the street it reads 3/4 of a tank again im like wtf is my correct readin then befo i pull into the gas station to buy a soda (had 4 bucks on me) i buy the soda handed dude the 4 bucks n told him to use the rest for gas in pump 1 get in my car started it up n it said a lil more then 3/4 of a tank

I have also driven on the highway for 5 miles with no gas being registered on the gauge and the LOW light flashing like this:

LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW

lol sorry im tired :lol:

On the '90 I can get about 85-100 miles before the gas gauge even loses 1 bar! The '89 is more civilized, but the low light will flash and it'll still have 4-5 gals in there

Yeah I have found that on my GP when the low light comes on I have about 2.5 gallons left. They make it seems like your gonna run out any second. I guess they have to do it for the idiots.

and you would think GM would have the area of gas gauges down. :roll: So why are they so unaccurate?

I dunno, GM seemed to go downhill with gauge packages on everything after 1994

Whenever I go around a turn and I'm at 1/2 a tank, the gauge will go down to E, the car will sputter, and then the gauge goes up to 1/4, goes to 1/2. I'll go around a turn again, same thing. It's pretty annoying.

GM sure does have wierd gas gages, the Calais does the same thing it will be on E then goes up to 1/4 when you go around a corner then back down. The Cutlass dosent as much as the Calais does, itll be on a little over 1/4 tank when moving then come to a stop it will dip just be low 1/4 mark and back up just past the mark when you take off.

heh, when my Lumina is on 1/4 or so, on turns and such it generally goes from 1/2 tank to E, but it doesn't sputter or anything ;) although, once, I had it go all the way to full.... :shock:

and it'll stick past F for the first 100KM or so (I put more than just the first stop of the pump in, especially if I'm going on a long trip...)

never ran out of gas yet :lol:

I don't know if I have a low fuel light either. It seemed like if I had one it would have come on this one time I was on E for a while. I could take turns and the needle would still stay dead at E.

I can fill mine till the needle is like another quarter past full. And if I drive on the highway I can get like 120-140 miles before the needle even reaches the full mark.