Going to check out a 93 SE B4U coupe

Leinzey

Hey All,

I might have found the new DD, which I'm going to go check out tomorrow. It's a 93 B4U coupe with <100K and looks to be in great shape. 3.1 with the 4 speed and pretty nicely optioned.

Anyway, I keep reading this little blurb: "The 3.1 has the power of a 4 cylinder and the gas mileage of a v8." I've already driven a 91 cutlass with the save drivetrain combo, but I didn't think it was terribly underpowered, even coming from what I currently drive. How is the mileage on these, though, really? I'm currently getting 18 on my commutes to work, which is straight downtown driving during rush hour in Indy, and I'm getting 27-29 on the highway at 75. I'm hoping not to take a step backwards with whatever I purchase as a second car. I'd love to get the gas mileage of a Civic, but the couple I've driven (92-95 style) make me feel like I'm in a tin can.

Also, are there any points in particular I should pay attention to while I'm looking over and driving the vehicle?

Thanks!

Power of a 4 cylinder? Cmon, they are slow by today's standard the only way it has power of a 4-banger is if you're comparing it to a newer model with a decent 4 banger with VVT that is in a smaller than a W-body.

and economy of a V8? Even a six speed LS1 Camaro can't usually reach 30 mpg on the highway. A 3.1 will easily hit 30+ highway.

They are the perfect daily drivers. Cheap, economical, and dead reliable.

Go for it. My 3.1 Grand Prix (92 B4U) gets awesome mileage, and is the most reliable car I've ever even THOUGHT about. 3.1/4t60 combo is probably the most reliable out there, imho. With regular preventative maintenance, they will live... forever!

I would go for it. 3.1's maybe no rocket but it has got some get up and go and is a tough motor, and with a 4spd trans gets decent gas milage. My wifes beretta had one but only had a 3spd trans. It averaged in the mid 20's. Didn't really do any better on the highway since the trans didn't have an overdrive.