New and glad to be here!

kevinz

Hi everyone, my names Kevin and I'm new to the site. My wife's 04 Impala was totalled a few weeks ago, so in our search to replace it we came across a 1993 Lumina Z34, Maui blue with grey interior, in immaculate condition. We went and checked it out today and we are going to get it. Had 148,000 on it and just had the heads rebuilt and a new timing belt installed. Also had a tune-up and a new battery, fairly new tires, and I think he said new shocks/struts. It's pretty nice. It belonged to a Chief here on base that want to sell it. It has the Bose system and power everything.

Anyway, since it is impossible for me to not modify anything I own (except my 07 Colorado as its under warranty), I'm looking at some things and getting some ideas for mods. One I would love to do is swap over a console and DIC from a 92-ish (I think) Grand Prix with the LCD display that had the compass and stuff, from what I've read here it seems possible and not very hard.

I'm also interested in swapping over to a digital cluster from an Oldsmobile. Is it a direct drop in, or are major wiring changes needed? Would the cluster physically fit where the Lumina one is?

Anyhow, glad to be here; if anyone has any advice/input on what I want to do please let me know! Thanks!

pics will be up when we actually pick up the car, which will be next Tuesday. So maybe next Wednesday or something, I'd like to try and give it a quick wash; it's a little dusty (i live in the midwest), but the paint underneath is pretty decent.

Welcome. Now if only I could find ANY Maui blue Z34 (or any Lumina Z34 for that matter) around here... I only know of 1 Lumina Z34 around here and it's bright red.

BTW, you're not gonna find much out there for the LQ1 engine in it. The engine has a pretty poor aftermarket. Most things will either have to be universal, custom-made or home-made. If it was a '96-'97 LQ1, there'd be slightly more out for it, but even then, not much and you end up paying a crapload for anything that is out there.

Yes, I have seen the info about the meet and would love to go if I'm able. Would also make a good day to hit the junkyards up around the KC area for some parts. The driver's side speaker in the car doesn't work, it's Bose so I don't know if it's the amp or speaker. Also would give me a chance to try and snag a center console/LCD DIC from an early 90s Grand Prix/Grand Am...I kick myself now because I remember seeing at least 5 of them last time I went, now they will probably be all gone :(

Welcome! Cutlass cluster won't be a "drop in" or plug and play, the the GP DIC in a Lumi has been done before.

I did some more research and learned about the cutlass cluster not being drop in and plug and play, if i find one at a yard though i may still grab it and the connector just to save in case i do end up trying it one day.

As for the GP DIC, when it was done, did people just swap out the whole center console or just the upper piece that holds it? Did it fit pretty well under the radio in the dash?

i found that thread z34_nut had about asking how to change the date on the hud, and he had a pic of it in there. it looks pretty good, i'll have to get going on it soon as i get the car and the required parts!

also, now i'm thinking about maybe one day doing a hud swap. heard a cutlass supreme one was the best choice for a lumina, so i'll be peeking for one of those.