Battery cable sparks

Quaraxkad

I just got done fixing some melted/brittle wires in my wiring harness (just the ones bundled with the injector wires). I also replaced the power cable between the alternator and starter. After I plugged everything back in and went to connect the negative battery cable, there were sparks and smoke from the battery terminal. After checking my connections I figured out that it only happens when the new alternator power cable is connected to the starter. I checked the cable and it's not shorting out anywhere and is wrapped in high-temp wire loom. Could my alternator be bad and cause this? When removing the alternator and old cable the first time, I had to take it apart to repair the post that the power cable goes onto. The post unscrewed from the alt. instead of the nut just coming off the post.

I think I figured it out, but it's dark out now so I'll have to wait and check tomorow... When I replaced the post on the alternator, there was a plastic piece between the post and body of the alternator. It was brittle and cracking, and now that I think about it may have been keeping the post from contacting the body of the alternator, which is grounded. I bet I tightened the post too much, it cracked the plastic washer-type thing, and is now grounding out against the alt. body. :redface: