Towing W's

oldscsc

Saw one today, made me wonder...how many have you seen? Any ridiculous loads that a truck should be pulling or anything? :lol: I saw a GP, within towing limits I'm sure, I wouldn't tow with a W within or without of the factory limits but that's just me :dunno: What are the max towing reccommendations with an LQ1 anyways?

Crappy cell phone pics:

The owner's manual specifically says not to tow with an LQ1.

Why is that Jay? I saw an LQ1 Cutty with a huge trailer hitch on it today, and I know you're not supposed to tow, but didn't know why...

I was reading the car manual and I read where is specifically said avoid towing with the LQ1, I forget if it mentioned why or not.

The manual for my 92 Cutty says not to tow with an LQ1, with no real reason given.

I know its not a W, but on my trip down to AZ, I saw a '79-ish Firebird pulling a big carhauler with a Harley in it. Rear suspension was completely bottomed out on it and I'm sure it was scraping the ground. I wish I had a camera when I saw it. Some people are idiots.. :lol:

I towed a 16 or 18 ft flatdeck (can remember how long) with a mustang II on the back of it with a Written off 93 LeSabre :lol: Damn thing actually handled it pretty good. He had me even tow it in overdrive. Dunno how good that would have been for the trans, but the car never struggled one bit. It really surprised me.

Aren't 3.1s decent workhorses? I assume they're acceptable for towing small loads?

I think so. the engine does have the low end torque to do the work... but for the love of god... add a tranny cooler if you were to do so.

Both my 89 and 94 vert had hitches on them when I got them. I removed them. I don't know what I did with the one from the vert, probably still rotting in the shed at my old house.

To me, it seems unwise to tow anything in a car with a tranny as tiny as the one in W-bodies.

If I want to tow anything, I'll use my truck.

the manual says you can tow up to 1000 pounds with the 3.1 and the 3.4 except for the convertible 3.4

I have personally towed over 2,000 lbs with my 3100 powered W...In a word...DON'T. You are under braked, under cooled, and under powered (torque and gearing). Having towed with a RWD Caprice, FWD Grand Caravan, RWD Suburban, and now the FWD Cutlass....find a buddy with a truck. Safer, easier, and, in the long run, cheaper. All it takes is one fried tranny or the inability to control the load...and you will know what I mean.

If you pull, keep the total trailer weight with load below 1000lbs (hard to do with any size of trailer). No passengers (adds the the Gross Vehicle Weight, the real measure of towing).