I bought an AC conversion kit

GPdriver1986

I went to Walmart in Buffalo,NY and I bought an AC conversion kit. It says that the oil and refrigerent is compatible with the remains of R-12 contaminents and oil and will not form sludge. It came with the valves,measuring gauge,and 3 big cans of Refrigerent,oil,leak sealer. I bought it for 33$. It says on the box that I need to have my AC discharged by a mechanic. Right now my AC doesn't turn on when I press the AC , Max, or defrost switch. Does my AC compressor have to turn on if I start refilling the system? Because a GM mechanic told me that the refrigerent should go in by itself because its under pressure.

Yes the little cans of refrigerant are pressurized. When you install the proper fittings to convert to 134a put in the first can. I normally put in the first can with the car off...read the directions on the kit. Using your gauges check the level on the gauges. Sorry for the caps...but this is very important!! :shock: MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INTSRUCTIONS FIRST AS AN OVERCHARGED SYSTEM WILL DESTROY YOUR A/C COMPRESSOR!! If you put in a can or 2 and it is close to being at what the gauge says is proper...leave it alone! You have no way to control the amount of 134a you are putting in and the next can just may overcharge your system and poof you compressor makes a funky noise and no more A/C at all!! :wink: Don't want to sound like an alarm-est but I have had a compressor go because I thought one more can would do the trick! 8)

The engine must be running and the AC is turned to MAX, blower fan to MAX and the charge the system. As the the freon charge increase, the compressor clutch will click. (Note: Shake the can prior to charging to the AC system.)

1 can of freon can should allow the compressor to click if it was near empty. Check the charge pressure level every freon can charged into the AC system.

How many cans do I need? I have 3 big cans 15 oz (12oz r-134a and 3 oz oil) + leak sealer is inside. I think one can will be enough because it says to only put 80-90%r-134a of the required amount of the old r-12 gas.