2000+ Impala Differences ?????

AWeb80

I'm looking at selling the hatch soon.....

and am thinking of either a 4 door accord 99-02 or a 00+ Impala.

Now, I do most of my driving in town....35-55mph. But I do drive hwy ~200 miles a month.

My question, is what differences is there between the 3400 FDR's and teh 3800 FDR's?

If I get an impala, I would like to get a 3400, but is that motor only available in the "base" models?

I'm asking about FDR's because I want to get the best mileage possible......I know the 3800's can smoke an accord on HWY MPG....my friends w/ 99-02 accords get 27-30 hwy mpg...but intown, they aren't bad.

I for one, can't fathom why accords get so bad of mpg, but that is for another thread.

Discuss please.

its really pretty much the same. 3.8s tend to do a little better on the freeway, but usually the 3.4 has the advantage. If you have any Impala questions, feel free to ask. i love mine and would never go back to a first gen or 1.5 gen w-body. other than the 3 or 4 major problems known to go bad that i have had to fix, i love it. And i would rec. the 3.8. just test drive one. youll know what i mean. plus its great in the freeway. 75mph, 2100 rpms.

There are 3 different gear ratios available in the diff:

2.86 (3.4L stock)

3.05 ( Imp 3.8 NA Stock )

3.29 ( Monte SS 3.8 NA, Imp/Monte 3.8 SC Stock)

There are 3 different sprocket sets available ( 2 from the factory, 1 aftermarket)

33:37 (HD Stock)

35:35 (LS & Base Stock)

37:33 (ZZP Aftermarket)

For an HD tranny, it's (33/37) * 3.29 = 2.93

For an LS tranny, it's (35/35) * 3.05 = 3.05

HD Diff in an LS tranny, it's (35/35) * 3.29 = 3.29

HD Diff w/ ZZP Aftermarket Sprockets. it's (37/33) * 3.29 = 3.69

Also, You Know An Accord Will Last Years Without Problem, But The Drivers Seat And Driving Ergonomics Suck. Not A Comfortable Car To Drive. I'm Also Thinking About A Regal. No Gs, I Don't Want The SC.

I might be selling my 03 GPGT if your interested. PM me.

I would test drive a 3400 and a 3800 impala and see which you like better... I know the 3400 gets pretty good gas mileage, I just dont know how good, but overall there both great but I think the 3800 has a better suspension unless thats the MC only.

also thinkig about a regal too.....

don't want a second gen GP

I thought that everyone wanted to be like me??? Or are you just opposed to BBQ's.

Adam,

I had a lot of problems finding a really well-equipped Regal LS when searching (lesbians seem to be eveywhere until you need one)

I believe that GM doesn't have the 3.4L V6 running to full potential in the Impala, to help the 3800 look good (or incrementally better).

The Impala is the only W with the 3.4L V6 (aside from the MC), the constant problem with the Impalas is that so many of them out there were fleet cars at one point in their lives.

Impala LS's here seem to hold far too much value compared to the base sedans, not really worth the extra coin.

Best of luck, but try 'em all out as stated earlier before making a decision.

WTF is this doing in "Other cars"? :lol:

But yeah, what Nick said. The 3400 Impalas and Montes are rated for 32 HWY by the EPA, and we all know that steady constant highway driving can achieve better numbers, PLUS the tall gearing does much better when going over 65 MPH.

Forget about lean cruise. I think if you can get an EFI-live program for the PCM and tune that way, you may be able to enable a pseudo-lean cruise. I don't know if they cover the W-body program though (They definitely do F-bodies)

If you pick up a stripper base Impala with the lightest wheels possible, low RR tires, drive appropriately, you'll enjoy some good solid high MPG #'s. Nothing like your Civic did but at least you'll have enough room to turn and fart!

yes but speaking first hand changing it makes no different at all.

i take a lot of trips to ohio and michigan from milwauke.

with everything in good working order, good plugs, fuel filter, stock intake and exhaust, i average 31-33 mpg on that 360 mile trip. mind you that is 65 through chicago, 75-80 on open highway.

there are really 2 things holding me back from an accord

1. The ergonomics of the drivers seat is NOT comfortable at all....no foot room in the for your feet either.

2. not very good hwy mpg for a little 4 cyl.

A buddy of mine has a 2003 base Impy and it's great. The 3400 moves out great for commuting purposes and I sort of like having the extra foot room you get with the column shift. The arm rest in the center is big enough to divide the driver and passenger, so you really don't notice not having the center console. I'm thinking about getting one, but part of me wants a Grand Am GT. They're a bit smaller, but it'd be fine as a DD and they definitely handle better. Plus, it's less frumpy. :lol:

A buddy of mine has a 2003 base Impy and it's great. The 3400 moves out great for commuting purposes and I sort of like having the extra foot room you get with the column shift. The arm rest in the center is big enough to divide the driver and passenger, so you really don't notice not having the center console. I'm thinking about getting one, but part of me wants a Grand Am GT. They're a bit smaller, but it'd be fine as a DD and they definitely handle better. Plus, it's less frumpy. :lol:

Or you could always buy back your white M90'ed GT. It's back up for sale :-P

But to not derail the thread. Impala ftw. I love my dad's 04 LS