Improved MPG"S !!!

oldscsc

well I know my 5spd 2.8 is at about 3k at 72 mph and my TGP is at around 2400ish and I get mid 20s mpg on the TGP and mid 30s on the 5spd

That 5-speed tach is off a bit fyi. It will rev (according to the inaccurate tach) to 6,500 RPM and not hit fuel cut :willynilly: I didn't go any farther than that so it didn't blow up :lol:

my shifts are usually between 2500 and 3500. it's just the way i drive. i think im getting crappy mileage cause of my egr valve being crap. and it also dosn't help that i can't go more than half way on the gas needle either due to a gas leak at the seam of the tank. im lucky to get at most 180 per half tank. before the egr and the tank leaked i was getting about 400 miles per tank.

fix your tank!!!! that is 99% of the problem! gas may not leak when you are standing still..... but vapors do... and when it sloshes... you loose fuel.

I remember following an older muscle car with the fuel filler below the rear license plate (just like my old 69 lesabre) every time he gave it gas, the car puked half a quart of fuel around the fuel cap seal onto the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know the gas tank is my problem :lol: the car is going in the shop tomarrow to have the state inspection done and im gonna have them put in a new tank and for it to pass they gotta fix the ses light so a new egr is going in too. now that i think of it the tank's probly why the ses light is on too. there is more than one problem with the ses light.

well I know my 5spd 2.8 is at about 3k at 72 mph and my TGP is at around 2400ish and I get mid 20s mpg on the TGP and mid 30s on the 5spd

That 5-speed tach is off a bit fyi. It will rev (according to the inaccurate tach) to 6,500 RPM and not hit fuel cut :willynilly: I didn't go any farther than that so it didn't blow up :lol:

hmm... ya, I have had it up a little past 6500 once, and never again, didn't sound like the engine really enjoyed that... but at 3k it sounds pretty acurate at least... lol

I ran out of gas at 425miles of all highway driving. As of late, my car doesnt seem to notice between going easy and having fun. It still gets bad gas mileage. I think that one must have been a fluke haha. But it does rev up to 5800 pretty damn quick :lol:

My 90 Z24, 3.1 with getrag 282 also runs almost 3k at a little over 70. I always get at least 25-27 with it on the highway and I don't take it easy at all. I have read somewhere that in a manual transmission if you shift early and lug the motor, you're actually hurting milage, it said you're beter off winding it out with a light throttle. I used to drive my cavalier 70 miles one way to work, and I would get a very consistant 27 mpg beating the hell out of it with the A/C on back when it worked. If I was at a stop sign going straight and the person in front of me was also going straight, I'd usually end up passing them while they were still accelerating up to the speed limit and be a long way ahead of them in a very short time. There were also alot of days I was running late, and would run well over 75-85, sometimes 90+ mph for most of the 70 miles. You can make up time pretty easily driving 70 miles to work if you take the back roads. It would still never drop below 27, or go above 27 for that fact, even if I drove like a grandpa. Now that I don't drive it very far, I get around 22-25, but that's with mostly in town driving.