Improved MPG"S !!!

oldscsc

First time I checked the gas mileage and drove it normally I got 15.4 MPG :mad: Wasn't real happy with it...so I decided I'd drive it a little harder, shifting in the 3000-4000 RPM range instead of 2250-2500. Checked the gas mileage today...25.8! :eek: Amazing, I can have more fun and get better mileage! I revved it a lot more than normal (none, only to 2,000) because I was going for single digit mileage :lol: I think 25.8 is pretty damn good for the bigger engine in a two ton convertible :jumpalot:

I have noticed in my GP that when I push it above 70 on the highway for spurts it drops quicker, then I also notice I get less out of a tank when I floor it off the line more often. I usually get about 250-300 miles on a tank with an est. avg. fuel economy of 20mpg with 87 octane and 25mpg with 93 octane

I don't see how this works...I guess there could have been an error made, as we filled up three cars on the same pump...but I'm pretty sure it was right. Kinda interesting how it works though.

LOL I'm set to hit 500 miles on this tank in my Bonneville, and that's keeping ALL RPM's under 2500. It's fuckin killing me driving slow, but I'm saving so much money!!! At 430 and haven't hit the red/empty zone yet. No bullshit!!!!

LOL I'm set to hit 500 miles on this tank in my Bonneville, and that's keeping ALL RPM's under 2500. It's fuckin killing me driving slow, but I'm saving so much money!!! At 430 and haven't hit the red/empty zone yet. No bullshit!!!!

I believe it, I haven't checked my last tank (filled up this morning) but I am thinking it was a good run, I try to keep my RPM's about 2000-2200 but where I live is not exactly flat and strait and I always seem to push a bit through the turns and obviously on hills I do about 3000+RPM

Driving from Toronto to London, usually costs me around $35 of gas, when I drove out a few days ago I did it for closer to $25 by driving like a granny. Bare in mind it's all highway, I just cut average speed from 75-80 to 60-65.

Haha thats how my Ranger is. It seems like I can easily pull off 500 miles in a tank. Last 2 tanks of gas I pulled off 38 MPG in the little pickup! :eek:

The TGP I DON'T CARE what mileage it gets. I drive that car purely for fun and enjoyment, no matter the cost! :cool:

SOLUTION:

alot of this depends on... efficiency. what affects efficiency in this combination? TORQUE CONVERTER!

the typical W torque converter in a W has a stall speed of 2000-2100 rpm, depending on application. the point where the efficiency of the converter is reached is about 600 above the stall speed, when the engine and the torque converter reach a working at a rate near 1:1.

thus, accelerating with the rpms in the range above the point of efficiency = better efficiency!

however, you start to loose efficiency with higher and higher RPMs.... so a range of 2500 - 3500 of acceleration would be ideal.

SOLUTION:

alot of this depends on... efficiency. what affects efficiency in this combination? TORQUE CONVERTER!

the typical W torque converter in a W has a stall speed of 2000-2100 rpm, depending on application. the point where the efficiency of the converter is reached is about 600 above the stall speed, when the engine and the torque converter reach a working at a rate near 1:1.

thus, accelerating with the rpms in the range above the point of efficiency = better efficiency!

however, you start to loose efficiency with higher and higher RPMs.... so a range of 2500 - 3500 of acceleration would be ideal.

Noted...I've been getting her up to about four grand, haven't ever driven it like this normally, it's kinda fun :lol:

my shifts are usually between 2500 and 3500. it's just the way i drive. i think im getting crappy mileage cause of my egr valve being crap. and it also dosn't help that i can't go more than half way on the gas needle either due to a gas leak at the seam of the tank. im lucky to get at most 180 per half tank. before the egr and the tank leaked i was getting about 400 miles per tank.

my shifts are usually between 2500 and 3500. it's just the way i drive. i think im getting crappy mileage cause of my egr valve being crap. and it also dosn't help that i can't go more than half way on the gas needle either due to a gas leak at the seam of the tank. im lucky to get at most 180 per half tank. before the egr and the tank leaked i was getting about 400 miles per tank.

fix your tank!!!! that is 99% of the problem! gas may not leak when you are standing still..... but vapors do... and when it sloshes... you loose fuel.

I remember following an older muscle car with the fuel filler below the rear license plate (just like my old 69 lesabre) every time he gave it gas, the car puked half a quart of fuel around the fuel cap seal onto the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOLUTION:

What about the TCC lockup, doesn't that lock it in at 1:1 past 45 mph?

SOLUTION:

the typical W torque converter in a W has a stall speed of 2000-2100 rpm' date=' depending on application. the point where the efficiency of the converter is reached is about 600 above the stall speed, when the engine and the torque converter reach a working at a rate near 1:1.

[/quote']

What about the TCC lockup, doesn't that lock it in at 1:1 past 45 mph?

around 47mph. yes. but that is once you reach speed.

this above was talking about efficiency acceleration to speed. Most often I will accelerate to speed and let off the gas when in city traffic, letting it coast frequently when pace and speed aren't needed.

Driving from Toronto to London, usually costs me around $35 of gas, when I drove out a few days ago I did it for closer to $25 by driving like a granny. Bare in mind it's all highway, I just cut average speed from 75-80 to 60-65.

I tried that once in my Ciera and managed to get worse mileage. I went 60-65 for FIVE hours.... and it didn't do me any good! :willynilly:

idk I drive the shit outta my 5spd and still pull an average of 25mpgs... Highway is still mid 33-35 depending. I normally pull about 400 miles on a tank, sometimes more or less, depending on how pissed off I am that week... lol

the TGP, I am lucky to see 15... :P

I tried that once in my Ciera and managed to get worse mileage. I went 60-65 for FIVE hours.... and it didn't do me any good! :willynilly:

the ciera is different. it has a 2.97 (iirc) gear ratio and a 1650 stall convertor.

my rough calculations indicate that would mean the car is most efficient accelerating in the 2100 - 3100 range give or take (but then that car would not have a tach to help you tell)

and at 65 mph you would would not reach a peak of engine efficiency.... as the rpms would be kinda low (my theoretical understanding at least) I think the 3100 likes running about 2000-2200 rpm for efficiency, and at the speed you were probably around 1700-1800 rpm. <--- thats rough postulation in case some says i am stating bad info.

keep in mind that wind resistance also increases too with speed.