1990 Lumina Instrument Cluster

SmoothSteve3

Hey Everybody-

I own a 1990 chevy Lumina that I'm slowly but surely converting into a race/show car. Unfortuantely, my base model came with the "granny" instrument cluster (No tach, temp, or oil pressure gauges). I found out that they did make another instrument cluster for my car, but I cannot figure out if I can just take the existing instrument cluster connecter and hook it up to the different cluster, and have everything work. Any info/ideas/suggestions? Oh yeah, does anybody know how to rollback an odometer? The lumina I ripped the new cluster off of had almost 200,000 miles on it.......mines barely at 96,000. One last question.......any body know where I can get some good rear coilovers and struts?

Thanks,

SmoothSteve3

1990 Chevy Lumina 3.1 V6

Ride on White Lightning

for the cluster swap you need to move some wires around on the cluster plug and also run a wire for the tach to read.

your odometer should swap out between the 2 clusters so just put your stock one in the new cluster.

for the cluster swap you need to move some wires around on the cluster plug and also run a wire for the tach to read.

your odometer should swap out between the 2 clusters so just put your stock one in the new cluster.

The only bad thing about that is that the base cluster only has an odometer and not a trip odometer. I had to adjust the mileage on the cluster I bought to match. Its a very easy process, the whole assembly comes right out of the cluster.

Whiskey River-

Thanks for the link to your pin-out chart........that really gonna be a big help when i do this here in a few weeks. As for the odometer, the one on the cluster I ripped out does indeed have a trip meter on it........the only problem is that the car i got it from had 196,000 miles on it.....i'm barely past the 96,500 mark. After playing with the odometer for awhile, i couldn't find a way to roll it back, so I tried swapping it out for my original odometer.......once again, i hit a brick wall.......the screw and holes didn't match up at all. Any suggestions on how I can either 1) roll back the new odometer, 2) make my original one fit, or 3) find one of the newer/better instrument clusters or odometers with less than 96,500 miles on it? Thanks for all your help! :)

SmoothSteve3

1990 Chevy Lumina

3.1 Liter V-6

Ride on White Lightning

Well, it's rather difficult to explain. The cluster comes apart and the odometer part pops out. The odometer itself is just snapped together. It can come apart and on the back of the odometer dials is a piece of plastic, remove the plastic and rotate the tumblers to the correct mileage. Make sure the metal tabs line up and press the plastic back onto the tabs.