Rocker panel rust on 2nd Gens?

5speedz34

Do these things rust worse than first gens?! Almost every SE I used to see had rusted rocker panels, even 5 years ago! I thought it was just a SE thing, but even GT/P cars have it too, but they just have their moldings sag! :lol: Case in point.

A problem like this would almost make me stay away from a second gen!

my roommate's mom's 97 SE has it pretty hard core...it is kinda funny, but admitably, the car has 200K miles on her....

my 94 se has it as well, but the rocker panel cover, covers it up :lol:

First gen's get it too but not until way later in the production run, and they cover it up pretty well. It just seems as if GM didn't treat them at all. SE's get it the worst because there's no ground fx.

IMO, you don't see it more often on GT's and GTP's because the rocker moulding is hiding it. I could almost guarantee that GT's and GTP's are probably worse off due to the moulding trapping the water, salt, sand, etc... in there.

IMO, you don't see it more often on GT's and GTP's because the rocker moulding is hiding it. I could almost guarantee that GT's and GTP's are probably worse off due to the moulding trapping the water, salt, sand, etc... in there.

Ya, just look at the craigslist ad that I posted.

The POS GTP I have is rusty rockers, but the molds are sagging because the inner structure that holds the molding straight is thin strap metal and it rusts away so nothing holds the bottom of the molding in the middle.

Right, but it still boggles my mind that those things must have never been prepped right from the factory....

...are you really suprised?.....it's a GM..

Agreed.

Right, but it still boggles my mind that those things must have never been prepped right from the factory....

...are you really suprised?.....it's a GM..

Agreed.

Ya, most late model GM's don't rust until years down the road and usually from lack of care. I've seen tons of imports rust way worse than any GM car.

At the dealer my brother works - this was when I lived in Ohio - they had several new Berettas and Luminas in the late 90s that had bubbling paint after being delivered. :eek:

At the dealer my brother works - this was when I lived in Ohio - they had several new Berettas and Luminas in the late 90s that had bubbling paint after being delivered. :eek:

Yep wonderful primer gm used.

BTW WTF is with Lumina rockers rusting. Mine started on two of my euros, and lord only know if my Z fx is covering any.

I thought that too, but most that I've seen don't seem to support that, meaning those with trim pieces missing.

Mine is completely rust free from everything i can tell. Everytime I have taken a molding or something off I've seen no rust at all underneath it. The car has seen every winter since it was new and has 239k+ on the clock...

Around me TONS of W bodys 1st and 2nd gen get really bad rocker rot. Especially when they are driven in the winter with out being washed. My 96 GP had almost no visible rust, not sagging bodypanels, etc. But when it got hit on the pass side and the fender flares etc. got knocked off it was rotted to shit behind there. Plus there was a ton of sand, dirt and salt on the underside of the plastic bodykit pieces.