How to replace AC clutch?

sws2000

How hard or easy is it to replace an AC clutch on a 95 Monte 3.1? Do I need any specialty tools? My AC stop blowing cold air the other day and my first suspicion is the clutch since it's not engaging and for the last month or two it has been whining when the AC wasn't turn on...turn the AC on and the whining stops (it's not doing this anymore.) I know there's a chance it could be low on 134a and this weekend I'll bypass the relay to check but something tells me it's the clutch.

on my 94 3100 i dropped the subframe a little, i don't recall using any speciality tools.

The clutch will stop turning on due to it being almost empty of 134a, i had to trick mine to turn on with the relay so it would suck 134a into the system. It's been a few years since i've done it, i'm sure someone with more info will chime in soon. Best of luck, jay

Before I knew better, I ordered a new clutch for my 94. The bearing was shot and still blowing cold. I bought a removal tool off of ebay from some tool company and broke it easily. Then, they first refused to replace it since they didn't understand what I told them. They later sent a replacement part that was almost as soft as clay and it bent. Probably from Taiwan. Long story short, I have a new clutch still in the box never used. Rather than hassle around with removing and installing the clutch- I've done it before without problems- I bought a reman compressor and said to h*** with it. If you want my clutch, I'll sell it cheap. Make me an offer if you're a masochist. Thanks.