Any one in NY?

LuckoftheGTP

Yes, It is a requirement. The ones without it? The cops will catch up with you eventually. My mom had an old 'TA and she was rockin the no front plate with it... she got pulled over and they forced her to add the plate. First time she ignored it but they pulled her over again.

So to answer your question, yes, its illegal in NY to not have the front plates.

I've got an 06 charger and I refuse to drill holes in the bumper...if I ever get pulled over for anything they'll probably write me up for that as well...but I do have it in the back seat and I've got bungie cords so I could rig it in a pinch...I'll probably get busted for it though...and never get away with anything!

Yea its illegal. But i dont have one on the front of my TGP. I got pulled over once, i had it in the car so the cop let me go, just told me to put it on when i got home. I had it on the front dash for awhile but i didnt like it there so now its under the seat again. I refuse to drill holes in the front bumper, plus its a RETARDED law, i think we are one of the only states with front plates. Honestly you will probably be able to get away with it for awhile. Ive gotten pulled over 2 other times for other things and they didnt say anything about the no front plate. I think the fine is $50 though of they do write you up.

it's the same with loud exhausts... vettes and other cars don't "need" em, just like a bike can be louder than my car will ever be and I'll get a ticket and they never will..

another year or so and the cars will be 20 yrs +, I think you can apply for classic, and be exempt. most classic cars I see don't have front plates, it's bullshit and I've been harassed myself, CA car and no bracket, and I'm not about to add one. Ticket me if you must.. I'll fight it anyway, cost the court more money than its worth. more of a matter of principle than anything.

another year or so and the cars will be 20 yrs +, I think you can apply for classic, and be exempt. most classic cars I see don't have front plates, it's bullshit and I've been harassed myself, CA car and no bracket, and I'm not about to add one. Ticket me if you must.. I'll fight it anyway, cost the court more money than its worth. more of a matter of principle than anything.

Right on man! Im in the same boat you are. PA car, no front bracket and im not going to add one. My 96 GP had a front plate bracket and it was a huge eyesore.

This state has a lot of oddball rules, laws, and regulations that don't make much sense. Honestly, i couldn't care less about the plates myself, but if you had to drill for a holder, I could understand the frustration.

Basically......if the cop thinks the car is "cool" enuf not to have a front plate in the state of NY.....then its legal. It's really hit or miss......ive gotten pulled over a handfull of times for not having a front plate on my cars(even when it was in the front window). But my mom's friend who has a 350Z...went to the DMV to get it registered... and the lady at the DMV told her since it was a sports car.... that it did not need to have the front plate on..... as long as it was in the vehicle somewhere.

I've had no front plate on my '76 Trans Am and no front plate on my '97 Ram for over 2 years now and have only been pulled over once for it (In the truck, never with the car) I got a warning for it, but never a ticket.

Never put it on, don't care to. I'll put it on if I ever get a ticket... but until then it stays off.