Newer GP suspension parts for '88 ?

Hippie

I have the next week off and will be going out to the local boneyard looking for goodies for the '88 GP now that it's finally home. I'll be looking for front and rear springs from a newer SE to get it down out of the clouds and I know there are at least four '89-'94s out there but there are also some newer GP's including a GTP. Are there any goodies I should try to snag besides the springs ? I see I need to replace one of the trailing arms, it is kinked right behind the front bushing, looks like somebody put a floor jack under it. Do any of the newer cars have better ones that will fit ? Mine look like something that belongs on a coaster wagon ! :shock: A sheet metal channel with a piece of tubing welded to each end for the bushing, what was GM thinking ?

GTP...look for a '94-'96 HUD switch panel if ya could. also...for trailing arms, get the performance tubular trailing arms for 97+ GPs from GMpartsdirect.com. i cant think of the part number, but they aren't that much. $50 i think

If you're looking for front springs, just grab the whole strut assembly from a 91-94? Grand Prix with spring code FUX and they shouls suit you quite well. If not FUX then get them from a 3.1L with the B4U/FE3 package. 90+ strut assemblies also have stronger top studs and nuts than 88-89 (15mm nuts vs 13mm nuts on top). Good luck

GTP...look for a '94-'96 HUD switch panel if ya could.

I take it you need the switch panel ? The GTP there is a lot newer, I'm thinking '99 or newer, it was an L67 and had been rolled , the L67 was gone two days after it arrived. I'll keep my eyes open though, they get new stuff all the time. They are "reasonable" on their stuff but not cheap. At least not in my book but I'm Scots-Irish, we are the embodiment of "CHEAP" :wink: .

Thanks for the tip Brian, there are a ton of other W-bodies out there and most guys go there looking for the "normal" stuff like motors, trannies, starters, etc. not suspension parts for W-bods. I see most of the suspensions laying inside the trunk or interior. Like the all black SE with the mint interior that is piled to the top of the seats with struts and springs............ :x . Oh well, there's more where that one came from.

If they have any 91-93 Lumina Z34's, grab the front swaybar and rear swaybar. They are the largest factory bars you can get.

If they have any Cutlass verts, grab the strut tower brace if it's still available. Just tell them it's from a Bonneville :wink: It's a rare part, and if they know what it is, they'll charge pretty good for it.

GTP...look for a '94-'96 HUD switch panel if ya could.

Sorry no luck.

No Z34's or Cutlass converts at this yard but I do know where there is a Z34 in another yard but it's in "Mosquito Valley" so I'm not goin' back there until we get a good frost. That West Nile shit is gettin' kind of scary around here.

I am getting the springs and struts from a low mile '95 SE, hopefully that will get this thing down where it looks halfway normal. The old turd washes up nice, it's a good 10 footer. Someone repainted it and it shines pretty decent but it has a few dings and wrinkles and rusty rockers but I may fix the body so the stepson gets some experience and will appreciate it a little more when he gets it.

Oh yeah, will tail lights from any newer GP's fit my '88 ? Mine are really bad and there were several '93-'95 SE's and an '89 LE out there with nice tail lights. They "look" the same but I wasn't sure.

90+ strut assemblies also have stronger top studs and nuts than 88-89 (15mm nuts vs 13mm nuts on top).

Actually it was a mid-year change in 89. My first 89 had the smaller 13mm bolts, then when I tried to put the strut tower brace/top plates on my 89 5 speed, they wouldn't fit unless I drilled the holes out more. As we all know, they went to the 3.1 halfway through 89, except for the 5 speeds. So I basically got screwed out of a 3.1. But I have one of the last 2.8s ever, not rare, but special I suppose. It's funny, the 3.4 was de-tuned for the automatic, yet the 3.1 was the one that got the auto, not the stick.