95 Cutlass Convertible...amp to stock radio

brianstarr58

I would like to hook up a JL 250/1 amp with 12WO sub to my stock radio. What do I need to do. Went to a shop and they said that they would charge 125.00 with me running all the wiring. All they would have had to do is connect the wiring to the stock radio. I thought that this was really high. Also how will this sound...good, bad or just OK.

1 power wire, 1 ground wire, 1 remote wire, RCA convertor to change your speaker outputs to RCAs and then speaker wires from the amp.... is all that really needs to be done

that being said $125 seems pretty average for an amp install around here.

Thats not a bad deal. At my shop the install would be $90 a line out converter would be $12-$20 and the wiring kit would be $40. That being said its a pretty easy job that you should be able to do on your own.

I have the wiring kit. When I go to the Best Buy or wherever, what is the hi/lo converter called. and would someone be able to guide me if I were to attempt to do it myself?

250W Alpine in my car hooked to the factory stereo. I used a convertor that wires to your speaker outputs and has rca jacks for the amp. Everything else was standard hookup.(I believe that was mentioned in an earlier post but I had to get my 2 cents in) :biggrin:

I would like to hook up a JL 250/1 amp with 12WO sub to my stock radio. What do I need to do. Went to a shop and they said that they would charge 125.00 with me running all the wiring. All they would have had to do is connect the wiring to the stock radio. I thought that this was really high. Also how will this sound...good, bad or just OK.

The price is so-so or high. Yo shouldn't have to do anything for that price.

But I did this setup on both my '93 CS and '95 GP, and it worked out great.

Slick is right about the line output converters, but something to be weary of. Lots of people are doing this setup and therefore, many new amps are being made with this setup in mind & therefore many of the new amps have line output converters embedded in them. My last one did so you'll have $20-30 that you might be able to save on that crap, something to consider while looking at amps (if you don't already own the one that you're speaking of).

As for sound, splitting the power lines rather than running the signal direct from the amp causes a slight reduction in sound quality, something that creates a much higher reduction in sound quality is the fact that your speakers are powering their way through the seats, and trim. Long story short, unless you're riding in the trunk, the loss of sound quality should be minimal or non-exsistent.