Hud Dash cover

AssMan

So can someone help me out with a template to cut in a Hud slot in my 94 GP dash... Or maby just some measurements of the hole and i can work from there. Thanks!

Since I have a 94GP dash in my 96CS and yes, it has HUD.. Cutting a normal dash trim pad would look horrid. Your best bet is to find the trim piece.. I did have one, but for some odd reason I threw it away.. I didnt think anyone would ever need one

So can someone help me out with a template to cut in a Hud slot in my 94 GP dash... Or maby just some measurements of the hole and i can work from there. Thanks!

Since I have a 94GP dash in my 96CS and yes, it has HUD.. Cutting a normal dash trim pad would look horrid. Your best bet is to find the trim piece.. I did have one, but for some odd reason I threw it away.. I didnt think anyone would ever need one

x2 much easier to just get the pad instead of trying to cut your exsisting one to look nice.

I agree completely! The right tool for the job, Measure twice cut once, Theres no half steppin here... Just lookin to retain the correct deflection from the defroster while i search for a colbalt color dash top w/Hud, In the meantime ill just go with my original plan to hot knife the dash top i picked up at the local yard. Because i refuse to give anything in my interior the "Krylon Touch" i wont be buying any other color top's to be painted. Ime smarter than the average bear too the switchplate i cut to fit the Hud adjuster and it is flawles!! Ime so confident that i can do it well that once i have said measurements ill post the procedure.

Ime not sure about the other color's but mine is injection molded plastic, And the top is the same color as the bottom. The trim is the only thing with a painted surface with that ruberized crap. :rolleyes: Lot's of back seat drivers in here... If i can get a picture of the top with some sort of scale to go by IE a pack of cigaretts or a dollar bill i can do wonders. With high quality pictures, scale, and a grid i can do better than the factory. Has no one ever worked with plastics? Its one of the simplest and most forgiving mediums to work with.

lol, you guys are supportive! Can't someone just run out to their car and grab some measurements? If he donesn't like it, or it doesn't work, then he'll learn the hard way! I love learning through trial and error, as long as I have the cash to pay for the error! :lol:

The problem is, it just doesn't work. He's trying to find a hard solution to an easy problem. They're not rare parts, and they're not expensive. I'm 95% sure the HUD unit will not fit under the standard dash trim. Completely wrong dimensions.

The problem is, it just doesn't work. He's trying to find a hard solution to an easy problem. They're not rare parts, and they're not expensive. I'm 95% sure the HUD unit will not fit under the standard dash trim. Completely wrong dimensions.

You are 100% correct! Thay are not the same, I have compared both and have done fitments

lol, you guys are supportive! Can't someone just run out to their car and grab some measurements? If he donesn't like it, or it doesn't work, then he'll learn the hard way! I love learning through trial and error, as long as I have the cash to pay for the error! :lol:

exactly why i bought a spare dash pad when i did my cutlass :mrgreen: It is the only way to learn

• 2 weeks later...

you sir, are incorrect! i have done it......i will admit, it looked like crap, but oh well...

PROOF!

IMG_0010-1.jpg

As you can tell, it will fit, just looks really really bad.....it works better though than leaving it open, because at nite, the lights from the guages would reflect on the windshield, which was a major pain........

also, you have to cut out that massive hole in the back of it, because if you cant tell, there is a curve up in the HUD dash pad, and it curves down on the non HUD, so it is a neccassary sacrifice....

just use a marker to figure out where it is supposed to fit....not that hard, and than just start cutting here and there, untill it fits....

• 4 weeks later...

It is amazing how some people can look at a problem and come up with a simple straight forward solution, and others, such as myself, :redface: see the same problem and come with an over the top over engineered solution :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the support, I agree totally... if you have the money, tallent and motivation go for it! Ill put my pictures up when i get my camera back.

I like how you gave yourself a five precentile back door... Pictures will be up soon.

you sir, are incorrect! i have done it......i will admit, it looked like crap, but oh well...

PROOF!

IMG_0010-1.jpg

As you can tell, it will fit, just looks really really bad.....it works better though than leaving it open, because at nite, the lights from the guages would reflect on the windshield, which was a major pain........

also, you have to cut out that massive hole in the back of it, because if you cant tell, there is a curve up in the HUD dash pad, and it curves down on the non HUD, so it is a neccassary sacrifice....

just use a marker to figure out where it is supposed to fit....not that hard, and than just start cutting here and there, untill it fits....

And that is how you end up with a crappy looking dash fit for a field worker! I have already done it... In fact this picture was part of my reserch on the project. 1, Yes the dash pad will fit 2, the dash pad is too shallow to fit the hud so modification is required 3, overall dimentions are exactly the same from one to another... The x factor is the will and determination to customise ones own car with the skils one has aquired thrugh time. Pictures to come...

PROOF!

IMG_0010-1.jpg

And that is how you end up with a crappy looking dash fit for a field worker!  I have already done it... In fact this picture was part of my reserch on the project. 1, Yes the dash pad will fit 2, the dash pad is too shallow to fit the hud so modification is required 3, overall dimentions are exactly the same from one to another... The x factor is the will and determination to customise ones own car with the skils one has aquired thrugh time. Pictures to come...

now in my defense, i just needed something quick and easy until i got the proper one...as you can see, i do indeed have the correct one already in....the main problem with leaving it open is that the light from the dash reflect onto the glass if there is no dash pad, and a cut up one looks better than none.

glad i could help with the research!

FWIW, I recently swapped the cover out of my car. Someone local was putting an HUD in their car and had a tan cover but wanted the charcol, I was painting mine black so I just gave them my stocker and painted their tan one.

Both pieces had been painted in the factory, top and bottom. But its just normal paint. None of that rubbery shit they applied to the other interior parts.

Jamie