help removing climate control from cutlass

1uvakind

I have the stock climate control on my car, and the buttons are messed up again, i am sure most cutlass owners with this climate control know that the off button sticks and it sometimes gets hard to turn off the fan.

anyways i want to remove it and replace it either with another from a junkyard, or build my own, (actually i will probably use the guts but build my own faceplate with new buttons.

question i am asking is how easy is it to remove the climate control, do i have to remove the whole dash, or can that bottom section come out easy enough on its own.

can anybody give me some pointers?

here is the pic of my climate control

interior07.jpg

You will have to remove the bezel around the cluster and the ashtray underneath. There are a few 7mm screws behind the bezel you have to remove. I have a sport pod so it's been too long for me to remember what you have to remove around the ash tray, but I seem to remember it's either going to be 7mm screws or phillips screws.

After that, it's just a few (4 I think?) non-metric (I forget the size) hex screws holding the climate control unit in. I've never had to live with manual AC, but I would imagine you should be able to just take it apart and clean it up so the button won't stick.

you just need to remove the 3 top 7mm screws, then pull the whole plastic housing straight out to release the 1 or I think 2 metal clips on the bottom (one just below the vent, one to the right of the climate control face) then the hex screws holding the climate control in are 5.5mm. Honestly rather than taking it apart, which you could VERY easily (you'll see the 1/4" hex screws on the back side) you'd be better off getting a control from a 90-93 on ebay or the junkyard